Where did the Cavendish's/Dukes of Devonshire own land in Sheffield?

Laura Jane

Hi everyone, 

I am doing some research into land owned in Sheffield by the Cavendish family, in particular if they did in fact own Devonshire Green and Street and the surrounding areas rather than just being their namesake. 

Would be great to get pointed in the right direction or if anyone knows dates and which Dukes owned the land that would be great! 

The Talbot family had been long time Lords of Sheffield Manor...The family became the Earls of Shrewsbury, one of whom married Bess ( of Hardwick) Widowed the lady married Wm Cavendish whose family became the Dukes of Devonshire...and owned much of the land around and in Sheffield. There is a vast amount of information on the internet but a visit to Sheffield Local Studies library might be a good place to start...I do remember at one time there existed an Estate Office for the Devonshires in Sheffield....or was it the Norfolk's?

I have recently seen a notification postcard dated 1908 from a company in Manchester to  "The Duke of Norfolk's Estate Office. Sheffield" advising that their goods  have been despatched. Obviously well enough known to have a minimal.address.