Attercliffe Wesleyan Methodist Church stood between 732 and 752 Attercliffe Road.

dorothymwalker

Hi - with the fear of having asked this before (and I am sorry if I had!) has anyone a photo of this church. David sent me a photo just recently BUT it was of the original church which was demolished well before I started attending church in the 1950/60's.

The one I remember had a frontage on Attercliffe Road although it was a little off the pavement with some shallow steps up to the folding doors (I think they were folding). There was also a back entrance which was via Chapel Lane which came off Worksop Road and we used to go up that lane to the Girls Brigade and Band of Hope Meetings - the front was only used on Sundays and special occasions.

It closed down about 1962-67 when the congregation moved to Prince of Wales Road. I have been looking for a while for a photo of it and it seems strange that there is no copy on the Sheffield Pictures site at the Sheffield Library. I am in New Zealand so personal searching of possible repositories is not an option.

Hope someone can help.

Second point saw a topic regarding Attercliffe Christ Church and the fact the chapel building, which was used as the church after the original had been bombed, was no longer in use - It was very sad to see the state of it. I married there in 1969 and my mother in 1947 - we both married on the same date - just a few years apart!

Thanks

Dorothy

I have a picture taken from the opening day programme.  My Mum and Dad were married there and I was  baptised there.

005 Attercliffe Wesleyan Hall 1931 Clifford (1906) m.jpg

Hi 

Could anyone tell me what the nearest church or chapel was to Carbrooke street, my late father-in-law May have been Christened there. His name was Ernest Bennett born in 1919. Sorry if I have asked this before.

Regards

Lynn Bennett 

On 31/01/2020 at 11:10, Lynn Bennett said:

Hi 

Could anyone tell me what the nearest church or chapel was to Carbrooke street, my late father-in-law May have been Christened there. His name was Ernest Bennett born in 1919. Sorry if I have asked this before.

Regards

Lynn Bennett 

There was Carbrook Wesleyan Reform Chapel on Carbrook Street.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/;s05047

https://www.picturesheffield.com/s05048

Carbrook Wesleyan Reform Church, Carbrook Street, Interior https://www.picturesheffield.com/;s05049

Also, St. Bartholomew's Church, on Attercliffe Common, https://www.picturesheffield.com;s26623

st.bart_atter.jpg

There will be no such thing.  There are two types of weddings: those conducted by the Church of England and all the rest.  The CofE performs weddings due to its position as the historic and established church of the country (this is the English situation, Scotland is different).  "All the rest" perform weddings acting as agents of the registrar.  In the CofE the banns are called, for the rest a licence has to be obtained from the registrar.  In this latter case the notice of the wedding will usually be posted in the local registry office, though there are provisions for special circumstances.  This posting is of course the secular equivalent of an announcement from the pulpit.

@MartinR

how would I find out about some one who was going to get married but was killed the night before would there be any records to who she was getting married to ??

I don't honestly know, but you could try approaching Sheffield Registry Office to see if they have such records.  They may end up referring you to the National Archives or the General Register Office for England and Wales.  You might also try the LDS Family History Centre, but I would expect that they only record actual marriages.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Youdy said:

@MartinR

how would I find out about some one who was going to get married but was killed the night before would there be any records to who she was getting married to ??

If the marriage did not take place there would be no records. The Star or Sheffield Telegraph may have something about the death. Go to Local Studies library to find out.

• Thanks 1