Help needed with this photo

Sheffield History

Swimming Baths.jpg

Have a look at this photo and see if you can help identify where it is/was

Is it still there? Is it still the same inside?

3 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Swimming Baths.jpg

Have a look at this photo and see if you can help identify where it is/was

Is it still there? Is it still the same inside?

That looks like Sutherland Road Baths to me.

Having swum at Glossop Road baths ( they aren't on West Street) I have to say I can't recall it having open roof trusses.

Quite a bit of history on this location and Sutherland Road has attracted its own thread previously. The window pattern seems similar but the spacing and number of frames does not appear to be the same when compared with the external view. There is more brickwork between the frames on the internal picture than seen on the external shot. It is not clear what the other long wall has by way of windows (if any). I remember going to see a Gala in the 40's so there must have been a balcony. Picture Sheffield commented on this identity problem three years ago when it was last discussed. It will need a bit of research into the Architects who did the design to see where else they built baths as, for me, the pool looks bigger than the site. (Tardis?) 

Looks like old Hillsborough baths to me, but cant remember if the roof was open like this?  Maybe Upperthorpe baths? Not been inside them but go past it on the bus everyday, will have a look and see if it looks similar

I just did a reverse image search and apart from Brightside Baths the "best guess" was The Hole in the Road. :o

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 12:53, winter64 said:

Looks like old Hillsborough baths to me, but cant remember if the roof was open like this?  Maybe Upperthorpe baths? Not been inside them but go past it on the bus everyday, will have a look and see if it looks similar

Didn't Hillsborough baths have an upstairs/ balcony? I'm sure we used to watch the schools swimming galas from up there.

If  Hillsborough didn't have a balcony and more cabins upstairs then it must be Upperthorpe I'm thinking of.

It looks to me like the Public Baths on Broadfield Road.  I can remember the diving boards were the same

as those in the photo and the changing cabins were the same as well.

There was a little "slipper bath" just off the bottom right of the photo

Mind you it is some 60 odd years ago when I went swimming there

1 hour ago, peterinfrance said:

It looks to me like the Public Baths on Broadfield Road.  I can remember the diving boards were the same

as those in the photo and the changing cabins were the same as well.

There was a little "slipper bath" just off the bottom right of the photo

Mind you it is some 60 odd years ago when I went swimming there

There are seats around the upper walls of Heeley baths unless they are a later addition after the photo was taken. Also at each end there is one big filled in window like arch 

After posting my reply I did some digging, Checked out the Heeley Baths website and I have attached a picture of the present

establishment.  Check out the roof supports.

I am gobsmacked to see the update of the "baths" it is fantastic and a long way off the 1950's version.

Heeley Swimming Pool.jpg