Help save a rare piece of Sheffield's history for just £1

Kishinev93

Sheffield City Archives and Local Studies Library is asking 149 people to donate just £1 to help save two rare photographs currently on sale on eBay.

The images relate to the Mafeking Seaside Fund and show crowds around a Boer war cannon on Leopold Street in c. 1900.

They are currently on sale for £149 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-PHOTOS-BOER-WAR-MAFEKING-SEASIDE-FUND-RAISING-GUN-SHEFFIELD-YORKS-C-1900-/352052314256 

There are just over two weeks to raise £149 towards the purchase of these two rare photographs.  Once purchased they will be scanned and added to Picture Sheffield for everyone interested in Sheffield’s history to enjoy.

Over 400 Sheffielder’s died in the Boer War. Their names are listed on memorials in the entrance to the Town Hall and in Weston Park.  The war is also remembered in local street names such as Ladysmith Avenue and Mafeking Place and also in the Spion Kops at both of Sheffield’s football grounds.

You can pledge a £1 here http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/help-save-a-rare-piece-of-sheffields-history 

I think that seller is having a laugh - a lot of her stuff is really overpriced from what I can tell

I'm really surprised that they don't try calling and saying something along the lines of 'listen, it's sheffield city archives here, we'll give you £90'- the number is at the bottom of the eBay listing. 

Or, if these really are worth that much on the open market, with the gravitas of The City of Sheffield behind them as a guarantee, offer a small fee to borrow the photos, scan them, and return. Selling rights and percentages to be negotiated if need be

Thanks to everyone who pledged their support to this project.  We raised the full amount in just over 24 hours!

You can view updates on the project page (including a link to a Sheffield Star article)  http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/help-save-a-rare-piece-of-sheffields-history .  Click on updates.

The photographs have been purchased and are on their way to Sheffield where they will be added to Picture Sheffield soon.  The originals will be stored in the secure vaults of the Central Library, safe for future generations to enjoy.

So it is written on one image as being "Leopold Street", wonder where the other photo was taken ...

Was this on Leopold Street?

pic 02.jpg

As history dude states Leopold Street has no slope. It did have tram lines but so did (still does) Commercial Street. The building to the left looks like the now empty Yorkshire Bank ( anyone notice even though empty for some years its internal lights are still on!) The low building to its right reminds me of the Stock Exchange but is its neighbour the old Gas Company Offices? Can't remember any railings but they may well have been removed during WW2 for scrap....really can't see it being Leopold Street.

The only thing that was putting me off was the gap between the buildings. But now that Edmund has posted that image it makes sense. What was the reason for the gap in the first place. Anyone got any thoughts on it?