Ever the optimist ...

RichardB

Still looking for any details of a pub called the "Coach and Six" located in the High Street region, late 1700's. I know at one time its Rateable value was higher than that of The Angel and The Kings Head, if anyone can find a year and a keeper I can add it to "the list" and I can enjoy a pint and a meat pie and pretend I was there back in the day. Until then I'll be in the Warmhearthstone or Ancient Pine Apple in my imagination.

There's mention of all three inns and the relative rateable values here.....

http://www.omnesamici.co.uk/MemoriestRELeaderChapter13.html

".....Of greater im- portance‹for it was one of the most heavily rated properties in the town, higher than the " Angel " or the " King s Head " ‹was the " Coach-and-Six"; yet, curiously enough, it has " left not a wrack behind." When projects were afoot, in I785, for rebuilding the markets, it was proposed to add the ground of the late " Coach-and-Six," and the slaughter-houses, to the Market Place, and to build corner-shops. In I808 the name " Coach-and-Six " had been applied to an inn in the Hay- market, for one Sarah Hodgson succeeded her husband in a house so called in that year....."

The two maps are from 1771 and 1808, showing the area around the Market Place, the dates presumably 'pre' and 'post' the rebuilding of the Markets?

It talks about using the "ground of the late 'Coach-and-Six' and the slaughter-houses" for the rebuilding of the markets in 1785, which maybe meant the building no longer stood and it was bare ground? Looking at the two maps, the slaughter houses and open ground to the right seem to have been incorporated into 'Market Street' and a small square at the north end, maybe for the corner shops?

In the 1808 map, it shows a 'Commercial Inn' as part of the new buildings, but even though the text says the 'Coach-and-Six' name had been applied to another Inn in the Haymarket (prev. Bull Stake), it is not marked on the 1808 map?

So, the 'Coach and Six' may have stood on the north or south side of the 'Swine Market', where the map shows a widening of the thoroughfare (open ground?). It also appears from the text that the ground it stood on was used in the rebuilding of the markets, which is probably why the later map appears to show a different layout of streets and buildings?

is that a fair assumption? It doesn't answer the question, but it maybe narrows down the location?

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2755.JPG