Maybe too many thread categories?

makapaka

I just wondered if there was one or two many thread categories?

it sort of dilutes the posts across a large number of areas and maybe if the posts were more concentrated it may encourage more contribution / discussion.

just a thought - keep up the good work.

The problem here is the site registration process was broken by "an upgrade" on 17th March 2015. I have just over 25,000 posts on this site but the breakage caused by the upgrade made me, and other "big hitters" lose the will to live.

On 4th May 2016 I passed comment that there were 15,007 members. One year on its 15,418 - barely 8 per week; this has everything to do with a lack of content/input - I used to be here everyday, providing content and joining in discussions; now its a rare visit.

I think SteveHB, Stuart0742, MadAnnie, UkeleleLady, Vox etc etc would be back and contributing on a regular basis if the user registration process was working; until then ... its a sorry state.

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 15:55, RichardB said:

The problem here is the site registration process was broken by "an upgrade" on 17th March 2015. I have just over 25,000 posts on this site but the breakage caused by the upgrade made me, and other "big hitters" lose the will to live.

On 4th May 2016 I passed comment that there were 15,007 members. One year on its 15,418 - barely 8 per week; this has everything to do with a lack of content/input - I used to be here everyday, providing content and joining in discussions; now its a rare visit.

I think SteveHB, Stuart0742, MadAnnie, UkeleleLady, Vox etc etc would be back and contributing on a regular basis if the user registration process was working; until then ... its a sorry state.

I'LL GO ALONG WITH THAT.

On 04/05/2017 at 15:55, RichardB said:

The registration process is fine now

Sometime ago I suggested having a section for the many Churches and religious institutions in the area. With all such threads moved to it. We could even have a sticky photographic survey thread of all the churches on it.

I am wondering if would be still possible to open this section?

6 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

That's a great idea - we'll sort that

can't believe we never thought of that before!

Excellent:)

Just struggling with what the section title should be

Churches and Religious Buildings ?

What about "Sheffield Religious Buildings"

OR "Sheffield Religious Institutions"

OR just "Sheffield Churches" - then underneath mentioning: for talks about all religions and faiths of the past and the buildings associated with them. Or anything else you think should be included in the section.

As stated earlier, Neil,  I think maybe there are too many sections. You lured me here from OT and it’s surprising how few people are online at any one time in comparison.

I also do History and Expats on Sheffield Forum where everything is just in one section and the response rate is a lot higher.

I’ve posted in 4 different sections since I joined this week and it seems to me that people can’t be bothered to search through them all.

I still agree - don’t think it needs 3 separate ones for pubs, restaurants and nightclubs.

or 2 for cinema and movies etc.

11 hours ago, paulhib48 said:

As stated earlier, Neil,  I think maybe there are too many sections. You lured me here from OT and it’s surprising how few people are online at any one time in comparison.

I also do History and Expats on Sheffield Forum where everything is just in one section and the response rate is a lot higher.

I’ve posted in 4 different sections since I joined this week and it seems to me that people can’t be bothered to search through them all.

Sorry but I am going to stick up for this site,  I am on Sheffield Forum but only use the History and Expats bit, but to me a lot of what is on there is not really history, just , modern memories ( OK I am getting on a bit) and a problem on that site is the lack of pictures and maps.

Anyone on this site can use  the Unread Content  or Activity button to be up to date all the time.

Hi boginspro. I’m not at all knocking the site. I really wouldn’t have joined if I didn’t think it was worthwhile. Neil does an excellent job and does try to please everybody.

Regarding your comments re History and Expats on Sheffield Forum, I really do believe that the vast majority log on to these sites to reminisce about modern history.  That means that memories of the 50s and onwards are where most people’s interests lie and they’re the threads that get the most response. 

Im nearly 70 and a proud Sheffielder. I’m interested in all things related to our city’s history but reminiscing is really what most of us like to do. The reason I’ve joined is because it offers something that SF doesn’t.  I just feel that on here you can post and post and if you get no reaction then ultimately you’ll lose interest in posting at all. 

With Neil’s other site, the Matchday Section is by far the most popular and though he tries to divert things into different sections  that isnt popular 

I don’t believe that most people are aware of Unread Content or other functions. They google Sheffield History then hit on the most frequented section which is the Chat Section and even if they join they may not use those functions.

I believe that you’re a longtime regular poster on here and I really don’t want to upset the status quo. I just think that a lot of people could be encouraged to post with a more stripped down format.