Sheffield razor info

Stephen Howard

About twenty five years ago I purchased this razor and have enjoyed using it ever since, I recently learned that I have family connections to the 

Dodge family, and remembered that the razor was manufactured by a Dodge family, I'm interested in learning the approximate age of this razor if possible and the name of the manufacturer (other than just Dodge) I'm providing a photo and close up of the blade which has been so we'll used the front of the stamped lettering has been worn away

IMG_20170423_072309.jpg

IMG_20170423_072106.jpg

Joseph Dodge died at his residence Western Bank 22nd January 1865

At the Amsterdam Exhibition in 1869 the firm won a Bronze medal in the Tools and Cutlery category for “a work of surprising splendour” which “presents such a multitude of Sheffield manufactures as takes away the breath of the rough labouring Dutchman, who gazes in silence on those tremendous circular saws, straight saws, curved saws, saws with gilded handles, knives of all conceivable size and shape, scissors big enough to cut a shawl in two, and little enough , with gold handles, to hang upon a watch chain, drills, scoops, punches, razors, useful and de-luxe”.  This success seems to have morphed into a “First Prize” in their advertising material.

In February 1875 the Eyre street firm, run by Robert Dodge and that of  Messrs W.I. Horn Bridge street (Mr Horn died in 1873), were acquired by a Limited Company to be designated Joseph and Robert Dodge (Limited).

In 1876 they were at the Continental Works and made a net profit of £1241 1s 6d.  There stock in trade (loose tools and trade fixtures) were valued at £11,144 4s 4d. 

In 1883 they reported a loss of £1088 19s 6d, due to “irregularities committed by a late foreign agent”.  Mr Dodge retired from the board and the directors did not fill the vacancy.  The company was worth £40,000.

5901964027688_JandRDodge.png.e5bc17b29b1e6a4ed0c5cbf7c50260c7.png

From the 1856 directory.

Nathaniel & Robert Dodge, merchants and cutlery manufactures,  70  West Street, Sheffield.

1849 directory,

Nathaniel & Robert Dodge, merchants and cutlery manufactures,  68  West Street, Sheffield.

Thank you so much for the swift reply and the copy of the advertisement was extra nice, much appreciation, Stephen