Dunford Bridge

southside

While doing some family history research on the free Ancestry weekend over Easter i came across my 2x Grandfathers employment record of his time working for the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway.

It gives his occupation as a --------Guard, can anyone tell me what the word before Guard is, it also says he was killed at Dunford Bridge in 1859, is this line still in use? is there a Station? and type of locomotives in use at the time.

Any info would be most appreciated

Thanks southside.

William Turnell Railway Record.jpg

Dunford Bridge station was at the eastern portal of the Woodhead tunnels, the lne now closed of course.  I don't know what the word is but a guess is 'probationary.'  I can't think of a railway word that fits.  Shunting was always dangerous, running alongside a moving wagon holding its brake down with a wooden tool - one trip and you can be under it.  

5 hours ago, southside said:

While doing some family history research on the free Ancestry weekend over Easter i came across my 2x Grandfathers employment record of his time working for the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway.

It gives his occupation as a --------Guard, can anyone tell me what the word before Guard is, it also says he was killed at Dunford Bridge in 1859, is this line still in use? is there a Station? and type of locomotives in use at the time.

Any info would be most appreciated

Thanks southside.

William Turnell Railway Record.jpg

Here you are ive found a bit of information for you First article concerns the sale of the property where he lived.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent. Supplement. (Sheffield, England), Saturday, January 01, 1859.

Turnell b.JPG

Second and third article.

Sheffield Daily News, and Morning Advertiser 12 April 185958fb8454ce5a2_TurnellA.JPG.38e731b2f40491f4f283f4050a625f60.JPG

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, April 16, 1859; 

Turnell.JPG

Thanks Gordon, probationary sounds good to me,it would appear that William was working his way up the Railway ladder so to speak, in 1851 he was living at New Hall Stables Attercliff, the census gives his occupation as a Railway Pointsman.

Thank you for the newspaper articles syrup, i found Clay Wood on the 1849 map of Sheffield, the properties look to be on the edge of the Cholera Monument Grounds.

Regards southside