Deer Park Wall lost in Prince Edward's School Expansion

History dude

You might recall that I told you all about the Deer Park wall that used to run down the side of some gardens on Queen Mary Road. It was part of a phase in the original Sheffield Park and is mentioned in an old document in Sheffield Archives for 1680's.

I used to live in one of the Boot Houses that fronted on to this wall. Before the estate was demolished I wrote to the Council about the wall and how important it was. I got a reply back and they said they would give specific instructions for it not to be touched.

So I was pleased to have saved this bit of history. I knew about the Prince Edward School extension, but with that letter from the Council I assumed they would not touch it. After the demolition of the houses I went and had a look and although some people had pinched stones for gardens from a damaged section, they couldn't from the upper section has it had the entire Woodthorpe field behind it and would have fallen on them. So it had not been touched by the demolition people. 

However I went past the area today. And the new school extension has not only invaded onto the Woodthorpe field, the best bit of the wall has vanished either under tons of earth or rubbed out completely in the play area construction. There's a public footpath that runs over what's left of the wall, which is only the damaged section. 

This is clear proof of what a bunch of vandals Sheffield Council are. I have lost a great deal of respect for the Council. I'm also ashamed that I was a former pupil of Prince Edward School. I hope the entire building falls down the 100 foot mine shaft they built over too.

Fine way to treat Sheffield's heritage. By the way kids when you grow up just vandalise everywhere you live by working for Sheffield Council. We've already done it so us teachers can park our cars here and you kids can play football.   

The picture below shows what it looked like when it was a garden wall.

Park Wall001.jpg

I lost respect for SCC a long time ago, they have less than zero interest in heritage. I say less than zero as they seem to actively go out of their way to destroy it.:angry:

Thats sad.

So im guessing the wall allowed deer to jump down into the park, but prevent them from getting back up, effectively trapping them for hunting purposes?

On 10/04/2017 at 10:42, LeadFarmer said:

Thats sad.

So im guessing the wall allowed deer to jump down into the park, but prevent them from getting back up, effectively trapping them for hunting purposes?

The wall would have stopped deer jumping in and out. But in special places they had a special section built into the boundary to allow the deer from outside to jump in, but of course not to get back out. The owners of deer parks were very clear on this. Since it allowed wild deer to jump in. Once inside they became the property of the park owner. The only person allowed to kill them then. Wild deer could have been killed by anyone, technically. Though in practice they were of course on somebody's land, thus belonging to that person. I don't think two parks belonging to two different land owners ever bounded onto each other anywhere in England. As this would have caused a dispute between the two owners, if they did join together. If you look at maps of around 1660 for Yorkshire you can see parks clearly marked. But none are close to one another so they would touch.

As a footnote to the main thread, the Star reported on Saturday that finally after many years of being left vacant, the rest of the land is going to have houses built on it.

To be fair Andy it was probably the Tory Government that forced the Council to put everything out to private tender and get value for money on services. Which are not as efficient as those operated by council workers. Private companies are there to make money and pay scant regard to issues like the environment. It was Tory plans to put high speed railways through Green Belt land, not the others.

Sheffield Council for years has had to struggle with the rule of that lot in London. They didn't put up with them in Scotland, why should we up north. 

Millions of pounds on concrete, so that trains running under a concert hall in London don't make noise as the go 15 feet under it. All at tax payers expense! That shows you how unfair things are.