Brightside

ex pat

When I was a lad  round 1950, we lived with Grandad for a while in Brightside. The houses were all rented and terraced with a passage down the middle in to a communal yard.

At the bottom were a row of outside toilets   - no bathrooms , but a tin bath , as was normal, 2 up and 2 down, except we were posh as we had the space over the passage which was me and my brothers bedroom.

I have no one left in my family to ask , but two streets on in the direction of Wincobank, was a large area of ground which looked like it had been bombed and flattened. If it was, it looks like we were lucky.

Can anyone give me information on this please ? Above on the hill top were structures which we were told were for the gun emplacements which were to protect the engineering and steel works.  They were just bellow us.

That is all I know, I would love to know more of the story.

If you look at this OS map (No 60 on page 4) http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/4008-os-maps-of-sheffield-and-district-195039s-over-300-of-them-33/?page=4#comment-22809

Also maps 173 and 175 on page 9 you may be able to identify where your Grandad lived. The coverage of this area is not complete but I'm sure other members on this Forum will be able to add their local knowledge. Click on the map to enlarge and scroll up or down (or left to right) as necessary to give a better fix on the location.

I spent a lot of time trainspotting at Brightside when I was young & had a friend who lived on Sanderson Rd which backed onto the station.. Can you recall where you were in relation to the station or Brightside school?

3 hours ago, johnm said:

I spent a lot of time trainspotting at Brightside when I was young & had a friend who lived on Sanderson Rd which backed onto the station.. Can you recall where you were in relation to the station or Brightside school?

Yes I remember watching the Flying Scotsman go past. Went to Brightside School for a couple of years including the Nursery.

The area I think you are referring to was the Tyler Street huts which have been covered on earlier posts both on this website and on Sheffield Forum (Google: 'Tyler Street huts' for more details). The 'picturesheffield' website has an aerial view at 's22643' and this http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20970&pos=14&action=zoom&id=23466 may stir your memories as well. Another site worth a visit is the 'wincobanklivinghistory.co.uk'.

You were very fortunate to catch 60103, Flying Scotsman, going past Brightside station which was on the Midland region. However, in the 1950s said loco was a regular on the Eastern region line into Sheffield Victoria pulling the Master Cutler. The gun emplacements you mention were built during WW1 and never fired a shot when the Zeppelins bombed Sheffield.

The gun defences were on the waste ground adjacent ridge view - I think more houses have been built on that land now.

17 hours ago, lysander said:

You were very fortunate to catch 60103, Flying Scotsman, going past Brightside station which was on the Midland region. However, in the 1950s said loco was a regular on the Eastern region line into Sheffield Victoria pulling the Master Cutler. The gun emplacements you mention were built during WW1 and never fired a shot when the Zeppelins bombed Sheffield.

Thank you for that. There were newts in the pond which was left behind. We used to watch em swimming around in the reads.  I thought the guns were put there to protect our steel works in W.W.2

I remember the Master Cutler now you mention it." Thanks for the memory "

No the Wincobank site was of WW1 vintage. The WW2" Sheffield Gun Defended Area" had several gun sites including ...Shirecliffe, Brinsworth, Warminster Road, Malin Bridge, Norton. Wentworth, Thrybergh and the Manor.

Brightside station saw the Thames-Clyde, Thames-Forth and Devonian expresses rattling through with the slow loose-coupled freights being shunted onto the slow lines. Happy days .