Norton College Demolition

LeadFarmer

Demolition of Norton College near Meadowhead is now well under way, but a few weeks ago, knowing that the site was to be demolished for a new shopping centre, I snapped a few photos of the empty buildings before they disappeared forever..

What I assume was the caretakers house?

IMG_2285_zpsbryeczj3.jpg

IMG_2286_zpsxt3btbo4.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpswexoixmo.jpg

Entrance to the swimming pool reception is via the steps in the far right corner, by the litter bin..

IMG_2288_zpsocftaiz9.jpg

IMG_2287_zpstvvoqjir.jpg

The rear of the site..

IMG_2284_zpsedrkttem.jpg

Front of site facing Bochum Parkway dual carriageway..

IMG_2290_zpsvg6sql4d.jpg

Taken a few days later as they start ripping up the trees, the chainsaw guy said they were all going to the incinerator..

FullSizeRender_zps7i4e2abd.jpg

I took the following photos back in January 2016 when taking my son to swimming lessons. Heres a view of the approach to the swimming pool, accessed by walking between the buildings and past the LR Defender....

IMG_8796_zpslpdaa7rq.jpg

IMG_8798_zpswnbcjckv.jpg

When I used the swimming pool as a kid back in the 80's the blacked out window you can see in this photo was a viewing window for parents to watch their kids..

IMG_8799_zpsviqea0t4.jpg

And finally a photo of the swimming pool in use, taken in Jan 2016. Probably the last photo ever taken of the pool??? All I can say is it felt uncomfortable taking this photo, but I wanted to capture it whilst the pool was still open. As a parent watching your kid swim, it was always boiling hot in there. By this point, the male changing rooms and toilets were pretty disgusting, and smelt strongly of urine. Its sad to see the pool now gone as have memories of swimming there as a kid, but it was now past its best.

IMG_8808_zpstl1xknxv.jpg