Cottage on Taptonville Road

tozzin

I'm trying to find out just who had 46 Taptonville Road built, even though it's datestone says 1852 I cannot find and reference to it in my 1852 directory, I know in 1878 a gardener was living there, the property may have been part of a long gone bigger  house. Has anyone any clues about the history of this building and the Taptonville name itself.

No 46 Taptonville Road Home of John Samuel Wild in 1901.jpg

2 hours ago, tozzin said:

I'm trying to find out just who had 46 Taptonville Road built, even though it's datestone says 1852 I cannot find and reference to it in my 1852 directory,

The 1852 directory would have been compiled in 1851.

From the site 'Taptonville Road - Broomhill Online'.

Fields now occupied by Taptonville Road were owned by Samuel Shore esq. who lived in Tapton Grove on Shore Lane

where Tapton Hall is.

In 1850, scissor manufacturer John Hobson purchased the fields that would become Taptonville Road placing his own

home, Tapton Elms in prime position.

It gives a list of the houses that were built and who build them, the date and number of the house.

These numbers are very low.

Here's the layout in 1890.  The cottage is not a lodge at this point as it is walled off from Tapton Elms (maybe a gate through) and is behind the greenhouses.  It's more likely to have been a gardeners residence.

58d638bf7ecce_TaptonvilleRoad1890.png.e08f07230e48f0f1e66cd81f0f86f40c.png

The 1861 Census shows Tapton Elms, with only Thirza Hobson, son Bernard and the staff at home. Husband John possibly away on scissor business.  The Lodge Gate building is occupied by their gardener Charles Bartram.  The building may have originally been the Lodge Gate when built, but seems to have been changed to a gardeners residence soon after, though retaining the "Lodge Gate" name.

58d63ae8e4970_TaptonElms1861.png.20079b168a8391257008bb0b1618e16b.png