Cant find on 1861 Census?

togger

Good evening all,

Emma Hirst b1849 Sheffield. Father Matthew Hirst & Mother Mary Hirst nee Schofield. I can find Emma on the 1851, 71, 81, 91, 1901 & 1911 but she evades me on the 1861 Census. Can someone please have a look with a fresh pair of eyes please?

Many thanks all

Hi togger, I have found an Emma Hirst (age 12) on the 1861 Census, born Horbury, listed as 'Servant' in the household of James Richardson at Front Street, Leeds.( RG 09  3371/53). Does this help?

1871.png.ce321b3167b9bf739a7ba9a9ed7dae35.pngHi Voldy,

All the other Census and her marriage certificate say she was born in Sheffield so not sure about the Horbury narrative. Although interestingly the 1871 Census does have her down as living in Sheffield as a servant....coincidence?

Hi Togger, An  Emily Hurst age 15 is listed as servant a  1  Caldwells Yard off Sutherland Street, Brightside Bierlow, Sheffield at home of Samuel Caldwell age 66 roll turner & wife Sarah age 62. Ref (I think because its not too easy to read) RG 9 3498. Could this be her?

There is also an Elizabeth Hirst born abt 1849 with parents Matthew (48 a stonemason)  & Mary Ann (45) with siblings, Ann, George , John Joseph & Ambrose at South St, Sheffield Park  ref RG 9 3495 (again difficult to read though).

Hope that helps, John

Elizabeth Hirst 1861.jpg

emily hirst 1861.jpg

On 25/02/2017 at 19:09, togger said:

Good evening all,

Emma Hirst b1849 Sheffield. Father Matthew Hirst & Mother Mary Hirst nee Schofield. I can find Emma on the 1851, 71, 81, 91, 1901 & 1911 but she evades me on the 1861 Census. Can someone please have a look with a fresh pair of eyes please?

Many thanks all

Hi!

I have looked too and not found her. If you have knowledge about her family, then she might have been staying with grandparents, aunt, etc. Perhaps you could try that. Otherwise, she was at an age when she could have been in service, which would make it a bit more tricky. What was her name in the latter censuses? was she married?

Susan