Does this road still exsist?

togger

Good morning to everyone,

One of mine died at 32 New Street Lane, Sheffield and i cant find it. I have had a look on the maps and also on Picture Sheffield, but drawn a blank. Can you help please?

And more specifically where number 32 actually was in relation to the roads position.

Many thanks all

Here are a couple of maps 1850 and 1890 showing New Street Lane (parallel to New Street, just off Broad  Street, lower Park).  Unfortunately the map that may be useful for the numbering is the 1950's Ordnance Survey which the site doesn't have, but I guess 32 would be toward the end furthest from Broad Street on the right.  The road is still in existence, but only just (see Google picture)

58aaa4794b040_NewStreetLane-1850.png.5f36b75c6ecf4214688952a654b69d30.png

58aaa480795ed_NewStreetLane-1890.png.23badc062a123b883baef70fdd89956b.png

58aaa48e754e2_NewStreetLane-Google.png.9d1989e26418fb0528f0dcbd8f0a3143.png

Hi Edmund,

That's great thank you i at least know where the street is now. As for numbering, well i am sure we will be able to work it out somehow. Once again many thanks

Depending upon when it was that your relative passed away, if it was after the old housing clearance and when the first lot of flats were built in the 50's, you can clearly see No.32 on the building in the island of New Street Lane (labelled 32 to 25).

In fact the little left turn at the top of the modern Bard Street is what used to be the other end of New Street Lane.

However, if it pre-dates that and was during the time of the previous housing layout of 'courts' and 'yards', the numbering was all over the place, so it's a case of sticking a pin in..

Have posted extracts from maps of 1905, 1935 and 1954, so you can see the changes in the layout.

There are a few old photos of New Street Lane on Picture Sheffield, to show the type of housing and road in that location - link below:

Picture Sheffield - New Street Lane

New Street Lane_1905.JPG

New Street Lane_1935.JPG

New Street Lane_1954.JPG

Thank to everyone for their help and now i have a good idea of where the road was. Picture Sheffield have a great image of the street. Now, does anyone know when the housing in the Sheffield Park district was originally built, such as Bungay Street area off South Street?

Or, who would keep this information in Sheffield, would it be archives, planning or Central Library? Does anyone know

1 hour ago, togger said:

Thank to everyone for their help and now i have a good idea of where the road was. Picture Sheffield have a great image of the street. Now, does anyone know when the housing in the Sheffield Park district was originally built, such as Bungay Street area off South Street?

Or, who would keep this information in Sheffield, would it be archives, planning or Central Library? Does anyone know

Thread here regarding Bungay Street Togger, I have to reload the tab each time I change the page.               ------------