Hyde Place - Park Crescent

tozzin

I'm trying to find out just who built Hyde Place on Park Crescent just off Park Lane. I do know that a Mrs Mary Ann Nowill lived there in 1879 but who was she, was she any relation to the Silverware and Cutlery manufacturer John Nowill. The photos on Picture Sheffield don't really give a good image of the date and other decoration on the building so I'll be taking my own. Any help would be great.

Handsome building, tucked away off the beaten track. I was going to say the date on the panel looks like 1868 and it wasn't a bad guess!

It's Grade II listed, so here's the link below and if you've a mind to, you can do some research through English Heritage to find out some more about it

Hyde Place - Listed Buildings

Heres a link to a bigger, clearer photo:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Hyde_Place.jpg

Hyde_Place.jpg

Hyde Place.JPG

5 hours ago, tozzin said:

I'm trying to find out just who built Hyde Place on Park Crescent just off Park Lane. I do know that a Mrs Mary Ann Nowill lived there in 1879 but who was she, was she any relation to the Silverware and Cutlery manufacturer John Nowill. The photos on Picture Sheffield don't really give a good image of the date and other decoration on the building so I'll be taking my own. Any help would be great.

Mary Ann Nowill was the widow of Edward Nowill, who was one of the "sons" in the partnership of John Nowill and Sons.  Edward married Mary Ann Willis of Grindleford in December 1850 and they lived for many years in Broomspring Lane.  Mary Ann was living at Hyde Place at the 1871 census.  Edward had died on 7th February 1871 aged 48.  I've not found any proof that the Nowills built Hyde Place but it seems likely.  However it appears to be a semi-detached building, so may have been built as a rental investment.  Mary Ann did in fact offer it out for rent for many years after her husband's death.

I've visited Hyde Place this morning and it's beautiful building, tucked away out of sight if you didn't know it was there you would be totally ignorant of it. The gate that gave you admittance to Park Crescent has long gone but parts of its fixings can still be seen. I will be using the information with the acknowledgement to Sheffield History.