Help recognising these Sheffield places from 1902

Sheffield History

Sheffield.jpg

This video of Sheffield in 1902 is utterly captivating. Some truly amazing scenes in this one including a trip through Sheffield city centre.

However there are a few areas that I'm not quite sure where they are in this film

What parts of town does this tram travel through on this film?

Starts on London Rd, Lowfields then carries on up to Highfields and down to the bottom of Ecclesall Rd.

It then travels up The Moor, on Pinstone St., and down Fargate.

Then down High St. to Fitzalan Square and turns left down Haymarket to the Old Court House.

Lovely old bit of film.

I wish there were more such as that.

Fantastic film made by Mitchell and Kenyon and then played in public showings. They included as many people as possible on the grounds that they would part with a penny or two to see themselves on the big screen.

1901 Directory
8 Haymarket      Butler, Charles confectioner
10 Haymarket    Great Northern Railway Co. JH Smith district goods agent
[no number listed]     Bunting, Mrs Lily vict[ualler]
14 & 16 Haymarket     Bramwell, Frederick John hardware & smallware dealer

The Pub pages list 12 Haymarket as the Yellow Lion
Yellow Lion

Thanks for posting that really interesting footage. What I noticed was the absence of the internal combustion engine, the reliance on horses and man power. the tram pointsman and the realisation that jaywalking is a well established practice.

I've enjoyed this flim clip every time the topic comes around, so just for a bit of fun, I traced the route of the tram and put a time stamp (mm:ss) at each point I recognised a building, landmark, junction, etc.

The timings are as the running time of the film, rather than in real time, as it 'jumps' several times (maybe the cameraman is changing the reel of film, or his arm is tired?) and the last 30 seconds are out of sequence. It completes the original journey at the bottom of Waingate, then the film jumps back to the bottom of Fargate and waits there for 30 seconds before the end.

If I have some time on my hands, it would be interesting to check the shops and buildings en-route, to see how many can be matched to the 1901 White's Directory I have. I only looked up half a dozen or so, to make sure of the location and timings, but there's lots of material to go at... 

Anyway, thought I'd post the result, as it may be of interest for someone to see the actual route - although I'm sure most will already have worked it out?

Tram 1902_Route Map.jpg