Pinfold at the bottom of Fitzwalter Road?

tozzin

I recently went to visit the Gin Stables on Stafford Lane but while wandering around I noticed a triangular piece of land filled with mature trees and bounded by a sturdy stone wall, my question is, was or is this a Pinfold? as it's very strange to leave a small parcel of land untouched for over 100 years plus. Any maps of the area?

Im not sure, but I believe that there used to be a pinfold at Gleadless Townend, the triangular piece of land opposite the Red Lion where the public toilets stand. Were most pinfolds triangular in shape? Am I right in assuming a pinfold is where stray livestock would be put, to be reclaimed?

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-16%20at%2016.49.

3 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Im not sure, but I believe that there used to be a pinfold at Gleadless Townsend, the triangular piece of land opposite the Red Lion where the public toilets stand. Were most pinfolds triangular in shape? Am I right in assuming a pinfold is where stray livestock would be put, to be reclaimed?

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-16%20at%2016.49.

You're correct, it was a pinfold and is marked as such on maps. The pinfold took in stray animals and could only be returned to owners on payment of a release fee.

Thanks, I didn't realise they paid a release fee.

The 1888 - 1933 map shows the OP's triangle, but it isn't marked as a pinfold at this time..

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-16%20at%2016.58.

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

Thanks, I didn't realise they paid a release fee.

The 1888 - 1933 map shows the OP's triangle, but it isn't marked as a pinfold at this time..

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-16%20at%2016.58.

I'm only assuming on my part that it was a pinfold. It's just very strange that it still exsists without any alteration for well over 150 years? The man who saw to the stray animals was a Pinder.

I don't think this triangular piece of land was anything at all? Just a bit of walling, to neaten the edges of the roads, when the new villas went up on Claywood Road at the turn of the century. After all, doubtful it was a pinfold, as it wasn't even there before 1893? In 1855, Granville Road, Fitzwalter Road didn't exist, the nearest road was Old Stables Lane and the area was in the middle of nowhere in 'Lathe Field'.

Claywood Road c1903.jpg

Lathe Field c1855.jpg

41 minutes ago, RLongden said:

I don't think this triangular piece of land was anything at all? Just a bit of walling, to neaten the edges of the roads, when the new villas went up on Claywood Road at the turn of the century. After all, doubtful it was a pinfold, as it wasn't even there before 1893? In 1855, Granville Road, Fitzwalter Road didn't exist, the nearest road was Old Stables Lane and the area was in the middle of nowhere in 'Lathe Field'.

Claywood Road c1903.jpg

Lathe Field c1855.jpg

I don't think it wasn't anything at all, it must have had some significance, the land is clearly big enough to build a house on so why is it walled off and left, it may have been used by the Duke of Norfolks Gin horses ?

It might be just a left over piece of land that nobody wanted to build on. I have not come across any Pinfolds in Sheffield Park, since all the land belong to the Duke and his decedents, it's highly unlikely they were needed. Besides by the time when then bit of land came about, the area had a high rich person content. And they would have objected to any kind of enclosure for smelly animals!

1 hour ago, History dude said:

It might be just a left over piece of land that nobody wanted to build on. I have not come across any Pinfolds in Sheffield Park, since all the land belong to the Duke and his decedents, it's highly unlikely they were needed. Besides by the time when then bit of land came about, the area had a high rich person content. And they would have objected to any kind of enclosure for smelly animals!

I didn't really say it was a Pinfold hence the question mark on the post, I was just asking was it a Pinfold, today that land would be sought after for building on.