Map That Shows Courts

saw119

I know there is an extremely detailed map out there (1890?) that shows the position and numbering of the courts in Sheffield. However, I cannot seem to find it now, does anyone have a copy? I'm looking for the area in Holiis Croft specifically Allen Street, Cross Smithfield and Smithfield.

8 hours ago, saw119 said:

I know there is an extremely detailed map out there (1890?) that shows the position and numbering of the courts in Sheffield. However, I cannot seem to find it now, does anyone have a copy? I'm looking for the area in Holiis Croft specifically Allen Street, Cross Smithfield and Smithfield.

Do you mean the ones that are available on the British Library site? Attached is a link to an area close to where you're looking:

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex/firemaps/england/yorkshire/largeimage150037.html

It looks like you need the sheet immediately to the left of this one, but it's  difficult for me to navigate the index page, as it needs Flash and I'm currently on an iPad, which doesn't support Fiash.

Hope this helps and maybe other members can point you a map straight on the spot?

@Edmund That's the one I am most definitely after but when I looked on Old Maps yesterday I couldn't locate it. Good grief but that's a great map. Is it possible purchase a paper copy anywhere?

2 minutes ago, saw119 said:

@Edmund That's the one I am most definitely after but when I looked on Old Maps yesterday I couldn't locate it. Good grief but that's a great map. Is it possible purchase a paper copy anywhere?

Yes it wasn't working yesterday evening.  The site is a bit (very) amateurishly run and often has problems.  It's working now though.  They offer to sell paper copies but I don't see any way of doing it online - you would need to contact them to discuss and get a quote (their price list doesn'y include the 1:500 series)

It looks like the 1:500 Town Plans are available for purchase (see rates below), but if you have the time and don't want to shell out that kind of money, either Sheffield University library, or Sheffield Local Studies Library / Sheffield Archives have almost certainly got this map in their archives and you can make an appt to view it there. I would also imagine that the map is out of copyright, so you can make a copy on their equipment for a sensible fee.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/library/subjects/mapulr

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/collections/ordnance-survey-maps.html

If you would like to purchase online from old-maps.co.uk, you just pin point the area you are interested in, select the map types available (there are only two in this case, 1853 and 1890) and add your purchase to the cart. Then, select the format you want to purchase (the screenshot shows an emailed A3 version of the map and check out to the payment page, as with any other online purchase. You may need to create an account, but I wouldn't know, as I refuse to purchase stuff that is freely available in the public domain, even if it takes a little more effort to obtain it. I've added some screen shots below to show the pages for online purchase.

Of course, if you are not in any hurry, can work with the free stuff on old-maps, or don't want the hassle of going to the Uni' library, or Sheffield Library / Archives, the NLS (National Library of Scotland) will have these maps digitised before long, which are viewable, downloadable, hugely detailed and best of all FREE!! (after all, the Scots are not too far behind Yorkshire folk when it comes to looking after our brass?!)

http://maps.nls.uk/os/townplans-england/info.html

Hope this helps with some options?  

OldMapsPage.jpeg

OldMaps_BuyPage.jpg

OldMapsPaymentPage.jpg

Thanks for that @RLongden I keep hoping that the NLS will digitise some more maps, those OS maps they have are excellent but this 1890 map is a class apart to my mind.