Where is this please.

boginspro

Sorry if this picture has been posted before, if it has I missed it. The picture seems to ring a bell but I can't work out where it is and is that a sewer gas lamp bottom left.

tumblr_m11nkeJK261qzq84io1_500.jpg

11 hours ago, boginspro said:

Sorry if this picture has been posted before, if it has I missed it. The picture seems to ring a bell but I can't work out where it is and is that a sewer gas lamp bottom left.

tumblr_m11nkeJK261qzq84io1_500.jpg

Looks to me like a view of  Mushroom Lane / Wentworth Street and Bromley Street, Bromley Street being on the far right.

It could have been taken from the upper floors of the Winter Street Hospital.

Thank you both, I could kick myself for not recognising the place because I knew the area well many years ago, and probably would have recognised it from the wider view that madannie77  linked to. Two of my uncles (Broadhead) worked in a grinding hull to the left of the linked Picture Sheffield image.

40 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Just had a look on google maps but can't place it. I take it the roads no longer exist?

Some of the view now grassed over and part of Crookes Valley Park/Ponderosa.

17 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Just had a look on google maps but can't place it. I take it the roads no longer exist?

Search Google maps for the bottom half of Mushroom Lane and you can see the hospital which still exists on the right but they have

planted loads of trees opposite [ my how they have grown ] where the old houses of Mushroom Lane stood.  At the bottom and over those

trees is where Bromley Street stood.

The photograph is looking down Bromley Street, with Blythe Street being the elevated road on the right.

The photograph is by a famous photographer called Bill Brandt

Map_275____watermk__upload..jpg

© Crown Copyright 1952, Reproduced by kind permission of the Ordnance Survey

Yes that's right, it's the Blythe Street I always forget about maybe because I never knew anyone who lived on there but for the surrounding street all my friends lived and

we spent many happy hours playing ont wreck   [ as some call Ponderosa ]