Wild Well at Norton Hollow?

LeadFarmer

1 hour ago, Heartshome said:

Hia, you are dead right!!   I have a pristine photo card image of the WILD WELL view looking down the path,

with the most clear view of Laycocks upper part on the skyline, which has been verified by my friend who

lives at Norton Lees. We have been down to the area, but it's difficult to access due to heavy undergrowth

and bushes.

There seems to be some 'confusion' with that one said to be at the bottom of Graves Park.

My friend knows the park very well, but she can't place it!! but doesn't think it's a well anyway, just a stream crossing.

Can you mark on a map exactly where you think the well is please?

As for Graves Park, I wonder if they are talking about the pack horse bridge that is on the old road to London that runs through Graves Park? Their description of its location fits...

packhorse_bridge.jpg.c292bae65ba3d33b3c616f2d55f4cf84.jpg

Bridge is marked with the arrow Botton left, old road with arrow at the top, shown as a row of trees...

1039121019_Screenshot2021-12-11at22_05_48.thumb.png.146f7c419a7d448482b3a43d33349514.png

On 11/12/2021 at 22:08, LeadFarmer said:

Can you mark on a map exactly where you think the well is please?

As for Graves Park, I wonder if they are talking about the pack horse bridge that is on the old road to London that runs through Graves Park? Their description of its location fits...

packhorse_bridge.jpg.c292bae65ba3d33b3c616f2d55f4cf84.jpg

Bridge is marked with the arrow Botton left, old road with arrow at the top, shown as a row of trees...

1039121019_Screenshot2021-12-11at22_05_48.thumb.png.146f7c419a7d448482b3a43d33349514.png

Hi LeadFarmer, if you go to :- southside's MAP,   January 15th 2017.   This is IT!

I also found the same on another map. 

• Thanks 1

The bridge on the old turnpike road in Graves Park is probably a later addition to the turnpike, it is thought that earlier traffic would ford  the stream rather than go over it. The stream (Cold Brook) was the source of water for the Wild Well at Norton Hollow.

I walked part of the old turnpike route last summer, setting off from the top of Derbyshire Lane, going down through the Park, over the little bridge, up the tarmac lane and out of the park, along Little Norton Lane, down Dyche Lane and up towards Coal Aston, taking a right turn down Green Lane, where I caught the bus to Unstone Green to pick up the trail where it crosses over the river Drone at the old packhorse bridge (dated 1717) the trail goes up Old Whittington Lane, coming out by the Cock & Magpie pub just above Revolution House at Old Whittington.

• Like 1

One of the wells posted earlier in this thread is being discussed on a Facebook group, suggesting the site of this well is now Sainsburys on Archer Lane, which is a similar location to what has been discussed here..

1348223347_Screenshot2022-10-24at00_01_36.png.aa6639df571a837dfdfaeb1169404c58.png

17 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

One of the wells posted earlier in this thread is being discussed on a Facebook group, suggesting the site of this well is now Sainsburys on Archer Lane, which is a similar location to what has been discussed here..

1348223347_Screenshot2022-10-24at00_01_36.png.aa6639df571a837dfdfaeb1169404c58.png

Hia, the WELL is NOT that far over. Nowhere near Sainsbury's. If you look on the OTHER photo

as to where Laycocks is in the distance, the 'photographer is stood by the well', so it would be

impossible for it to be up there. 

It was located on the side of the old pathway heading down towards Norton Hollow.

The hillside, we believe, you can still see on the lower Fraser Cres up to Fraser Rd, with the

photo looking up across it at a right angle. Hence why you can only see the upper part

of Laycocks building. It is difficult making any positive identification, because the area has

been built on so much, and there are so many large trees now blocking any view there was.

My friend from Norton Lees and I, researched this quite intensely for several years, and this 

is the conclusion from the results of all the information we found, from walking the area,

photos and old maps.

I'm sure this will be an ongoing debate for a long time!  Regards Heartshome.

• Like 1