Sarah Skelton will 1867 late of Gleedless

philkai

Just thought I would post this for anyone who may be interested.

Sarah was my 2nd Great Grandmother and lived for the most part in Hollins End with her husband James Skelton who was a farmer.

It is quite an extensive will for someone with effects under £200 even though that was worth much more then so I am unsure where all the stocks, shares and real eastate went before she died.

It does throw up another mystery for me as she leaves £100 to her grandson Thomas Mayor who was previously unknown to me in my research and can only assume at the moment the he was the illegitimate son of her oldest child John Skelton but he is proving a little dificult to trace in the area.

Hope that it is of some use to someone else and any comments would be appreciated

sarah skelton will.pdf

There was a Thomas Major born in Sheffield 1845 Q3 22 565

There was a Thomas Major died in Sheffield 1898 aged 53

from sheffieldindexers

MAJOR, Thomas (grocer, age 53).
     Died at 17 & 19 Channing St.; Buried on December 23, 1898 in Consecrated ground; 
     Grave Number 46, Section P4 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
     Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: 44408 Attending Minister: J H Ainsworth.

Yes it get worse the more you dig into these matters.

According to Hansworth parish records

Sarah Booker and James Skelton married in Sept 1811

Sarah and James had their first child John in 1813

A Mary Skelton married a William Major in 1837 they had a son Thomas in 1845 and had moved to East Drayton where william was born by 1851 census. Mary died in 1856. William re-married and can be found with his family by 1871 living in Sheffield Park, Thomas is 25 and is a Brazier by trade (his father being a saddle maker)

and now the confusing bit

In handsworth baptisms there are two Mary Skeltons recorded

SKELTON Mary Joseph Mary 09/06/1811 17/05/1811   Gleadless
SKELTON Mary James Mary 19/01/1812 12/11/1811   Hollinsend

Joseph i believe to be James cousin, but suddenly there is a new James in the records, but it is too much of a coincidence tied in with the will not to be one and the same.  Mary is not mentioned in the will but by the time it was written she had died so it would be good that Sarah was looking after her grandson.

As luck would have it there is no mention in the marriage records as to Mary's parents so it could be either Mary that married William Major but why would she leave such a substantial ammount to a child that was not her kin.

So now I am faced with two posible outcomes ..... Either there was a mistake in the records posiblbly with transcription and Sarah was heavily pregnant when they married or James fathered a child with someone called Mary in the same year he married Sarah and they brought the child up as their own! Unfortunatley Mary gets married before 1841 census so we cannot see who she was living with.

Either way it is yet another family mystery thet may never be answered and all I wanted to know was if there was a few stocks and real eastate heading my way.

Thanks History Dude.

I already have these from another post a few years ago where you kindly posted them along with some other amazing details supplied by Edmund and yourself

James was Sarah's son and he and Eliza were my Gt grandparents, Joseph I believe would have been James's uncle.

James snr died in 1844 and Sarah 1867 both of them show on the records as being burried at Christ Church Gleedless as well, any sign of their gravestone in your extensive records?.

I have hit the brick wall with my Skelton side in the late 1700's in Handsworth with my Gt Gt Gt grandfather John. How he got to Handsworth is a mystery of the parish records, so I had moved my search to the other branches of the family all of which I have managed to get much further back thanks mainly to them coming from Derbyshire and the fact that DCC have all their records on family search including original copies.  .

I then obtained Sarah's will which threw another spanner in the works with the "new" grandson (unfortunately I hav'nt yet located her husbands will from 1844 which may shed some more light)

It appears they all managed to acrue some small wealth for the time, at least enough to get voting rites in 1841, and had hoped with the money they may have left a few more imprints in the past for me to find, but as usual it just gets more frustrating

With your knowledge of the Skelton family, are you able to tell me anything about the couple who married in Sheffield parish church, on 15 April 1805?  They were Thomas Wilde and Amelia Skelton - of whom I have no other details.

I do have details - including wills - of another Thomas Wilde (1747-1827) and his wife Mary Scholey (1753-1830), who were childless.  Bequests by this Thomas Wilde include "unto Henry Thorp Skelton and John Kenyon Skelton the two Sons of my partner Joseph Dixon Skelton at their respective ages of twenty three years the legacy or Sum of Five hundred pounds apiece".

Among many other bequests (helpfully naming many nieces and nephews) was an annuity to Thomas's wife "payable in equal proportions out of the three several Copartnerships of John Kenyon and Company Walker and Wilde and Appleby Walker & Company wherein I am concerned at Sheffield aforesaid and at Renishaw in the County of Derby" - which gives some indication of where his money came from.

This Thomas Wilde was half-brother to my 4xgreat-grandfather, being one of the twelve children of Robert Wilde (c1710-1786 - who had three wives).

Matthew Wilde.

Sorry Mathew but it would appear that Henry Thorp Skelton and John Kenyon Skelton come from a completely different line of the family