Christmas Greetings

syrup

Must say it is wonderful to see three stalwarts of SH posting. Seems like the site has undergone a huge seachange in the last 12 months which is not unusual in this day and age, but the site hasn't changed, it's still Sheffield History. The old guard have just moved on, run out of steam or inspiration perhaps. I imagine, like me, they check the site regularly but are 'otherwise indisposed' to respond, thinking "Oh yes, we covered that in '07" or something like that. Or maybe our own lives have changed, things beyond your control, or things more pressing than some social media experience that was once important to you. If you think the site is too structured to accept personal input there is always 'General Chat'. Even if you had zero response, it could be quite therapeutic to unload and I for one would be interested to read your (not too personal) stories. 

Cheers, Thylacine

I would also like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, I to am a bit saddened on the decline of Sheffield History, it's a brilliant site, I look every morning to read any new posts or replies. I hope there is a resurgence in the new year and bring it back to what it was when I first joined. I would hate to see it cease to be.

Happy Christmas to everyone and, as I write this on Boxing Day with almost all shops being open, I am reminded of those happy days of yore when Christmas was a time when we stocked up with bread ...cos shops were shut!:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, lysander said:

Happy Christmas to everyone and, as I write this on Boxing Day with almost all shops being open, I am reminded of those happy days of yore when Christmas was a time when we stocked up with bread ...cos shops were shut!:rolleyes:

Nor did we have freezers, fridges or long life foods in the way we do now. No throwing away of food because we had bought too much - as if! Shops had set hours of opening to suit them not the buyer. Sales twice a year usually in late Jan/early Feb  and late August where we bought bargains for the following summer or winter or for growing kids to grow into. I could go on and on and on..........

Do we have a The Way We Were page? 

Perhaps it's the rosy glow of age...but we seemed to cram so much more in 2 days holiday with pubs having just a 30 minute extension...shutting at the extraordinarily late hour of 11pm on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day (very few opened on the evening of Christmas Day)..and by 11 most of us had had enough pop by then!