Help with "Sheaf Market"

peterinfrance

Can anyone help to identify this Sheffield market?

I am afraid the details are sketchy but I live in hope!

It is or was a city centre market my granddad took me to most Saturdays in the early 1950's.   It was an open, old fashioned market with covered stalls.

My granddad bought leather and rubber there to mend his shoes!  I remember vividly one stall selling crockery and the man used to

hold plates, cups and saucers etc. in a sort of circular arrangement and throw them up and down, all the while shouting the odds.

There was also a building in the market which had pets for sale.  I think it may have been called the Sheaf Market but I am not sure.

Well I said it was sketchy and I would love to hear any contribution to assist or even hear old memories

51 minutes ago, peterinfrance said:

Can anyone help to identify this Sheffield market?

I am afraid the details are sketchy but I live in hope!

It is or was a city centre market my granddad took me to most Saturdays in the early 1950's.   It was an open, old fashioned market with covered stalls.

My granddad bought leather and rubber there to mend his shoes!  I remember vividly one stall selling crockery and the man used to

hold plates, cups and saucers etc. in a sort of circular arrangement and throw them up and down, all the while shouting the odds.

There was also a building in the market which had pets for sale.  I think it may have been called the Sheaf Market but I am not sure.

Well I said it was sketchy and I would love to hear any contribution to assist or even hear old memories

That would be the Rag n Tag (officially Sheaf Market) in the space surrounded by Shude Hill, Broad Street, Sheaf Street and Commercial Street. The pet shop was Ogley's and the crockery man Potty Edwards. There are plenty of pictures of that market on Picture Sheffield, one here       --------------------          http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s01967&prevUrl=

Thank you so much for the information and suggestions. I had a look on Pictures Sheffield and lo and behold

there he was, the man with the crockery - Mick (Potty) Edwards.  It brought to life some very happy memories for me.

Any other contributions will be very welcome as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge amongst the members.