Question about Sheaf Markets

Sheffield History

Sheaf Market Sheffield.jpg

Sheaf Market.jpg

As you look at the front of Sheaf Markets there used to be shops on the ground floor facing the road/park square roundabout 

They weren't in the market as such but underneath on the external front facing part of the building

I'm trying to remember the name of the record shop that was down there in the 80's/90's

Anyone remember?

From my vague memory I'm pretty sure there was an electrical shop too

Could have been for hoover spares etc

I'm sure that on the left of the row of shops (under the M or A) there was a fancy dress hire / joke shop? I distinctly remember as a daft youth, hiring a bright yelllow funky chicken suit from there, complete with foam rubber feet! lol

There was a record shop there I'm sure and although I'm thinking it may have been 'Revolution', I think that was up on the galleries on Exchange Street, above Woollies?

Fancy dress shop - yes there was one. I actually sold them an outfit I had made.  None of the shops there seemed to last long. 

Was the record shop called Revolver Records or Chantrey Records?

Both of those names are in my vague memory for some reason

On 03/12/2016 at 22:13, Sheffield History said:

Was the record shop called Revolver Records or Chantrey Records?

Both of those names are in my vague memory for some reason

Chantry Records might be the right call. There's several post in the 'other' Sheffield forum that put it 'behind the Sheaf Market, overlooking Park Square', so it's a fair bet? The original photo posted on this thread shows the front (or rear) row of shops in the mid-1990's (May 1995 according to Picture Sheffield). The shop below the letter 'T' appears to say "KROPPS", which may well have been a hairdressers, but is a good 10 years later than my recollections and times spent mooching "up town" of a weekend.