Vickers' Boys Welfare - Drake Team 1920-21

Voldy

Back row: L to R,  Mr W H Abrams, Mr S Evans, G Bullock,C Lees,G Sellars,W Shelton,G Walker,C Huntingdon, Mr Ridley, Mr Eyre(&2 sons)

Front row: L to R, T Clarkson,G Cousins,T Garnham,E Huntingdon,J Dalehpqscan0002.jpg

Interesting, my dad was in Firth's team, probably played against them!  He is 3rd from left, back row.  He was 14.

1920 001 Firth's Football Team  1920-21.JPG

Hi Gordon, do you have any information as to what that trophy was? It may of course still be around in someones trophy cabinet! I haven't been able to find anything on-line relating to this period and it begs the question as to whether this was the 'Knockout Competition' in the Vickers' photo above. If it was I wonder what the Odds are of finding two photos from different sources so long after the event?

Maybe 'Raleigh' was another League though the teams' ages appear to be similar and I agree it is highly probable they played each other.

Hi again.  I have two more photos, for the preceding and following seasons.  In the latter my dad Clifford was captain and Firth's were champions of the Raleigh League.  I also have his medals, gold that year but two seasons later 1922-23 silver, runners up in the Drake League, so I wonder if Drake was a promotion from Raleigh.  The inscription on the silver suggests they were the Sheffield and District Works Sports Association, which still has a website, but no longer seems to include football.  All pictures attached.  I wonder why they were named after Elizabethan sailors, and if there were any other divisions.

1919 001 Firth's Football Team.JPG

1921 001 Firth's Football Team 1921-22.JPG

1920-21 Football Medal 01.jpg

1920-21 Football Medal 02.jpg

1922-23 Football Medal 03.jpg

1922-23 Football Medal 04.jpg

• Like 1

Hi All

Put you in the picture about the Sheffield & District Works Sports Association which was started in 1919.

They had sections for all sorts of sports, football, hockey, cricket, swimming, and tennis, which is still going today. I believe there were over 80 sections at one time. Many of the cups/shields for these competition were sold at auction about 5 years ago.

They had various leagues in the football section. there was, in order of seniority, Premier League, Beatty League, Haig League, Drake League, Raleigh League and a minor league started in 1939/40 and a knock out Cup - A S Lee Cup Competition in 1926/27.  The last two running were the Premier League and A S Lee, both finished in 1994. The Drake League finished in 1962/63 and the Raleigh League in 1940. Most of the early trophies appear to have gone long ago. I do have pictures of most of them in my collection.

The Drake League was for players under 18 on 1st September and the Raleigh League for players under 16. The teams in the picture represented Thomas Firth steel works, later to become Firth Browns. I believe that their home ground was on Bawtry Road at that time, possibly the one which is now owned by Sheffield University or the one on the other side of the road now owned by Rotherham United.. To play for the team, you had to work at the firm, so the player's in question would be work mates.

The Beatty Shield was presented by Lord Beatty. He took the surrender of the German navy at the end of the first world war and the Haig league was from Lord Haig who took the surrender of the German Army. The Drake league had a rose bowl as its trophy. This was donated by Prince Albert. I believe I know where this is at the moment.

Anybody interested in the early years of local Sheffield football should obtain a copy of a book that I am co-author of called Football in Sheffield. It was released last September. It is 224 pages long, A4 size and covers the first 150 years of the amateur football game in Sheffield. It has the winners of nearly 100 leagues and cups, its is full of team, medal and cup photos, and much more. It can be obtained from myself for £20, including postage or from the Sheffield Star or Waterstones for £25. You can get an idea about the book by looking on eBay.

If anybody has any old football trophies, football pictures or medals they want to know more about, then I am the man to try and help you. I am the official historian for Sheffield & Hallamshire CFA and I try and sort out peoples football queries in my spare time

I can be contacted on 01709 541619.

Chris Eyre

My grandad had a gold medallion on his watch chain. The inscription was "EWSCC Batting Prize 1902".  He was aged 18 at the time  & described his job as heating engineer. He went on to work for the Gas  Board as a gas fitter. Anyone any idea what EWS Cricket Club might have been please? I have tried to find out for some years but had no success.

Thanks John

Hi johnm,      Almost two years ago dunsbyowl1867 posted the likely answer to this on the Local Cricket Heroes thread in this section of the Forum. I believe his tiff attachment solves your query. I remember playing against Exchange at Whirlow around 1950 we were the 'away team'. I cannot recall any other club that fits a Sheffield area location.  

Hi Voldy, Thanks for replying. I have managed to find the old Local cricket heroes thread  but his answer must have ben on page 2 of it & I can't get it to load . Can you (or anyone) manage to find it for me please & post Dunsbyowl 1867 answer?

Hi johnm,   Yes it was the first post on page 2 with a link to an old newspaper cutting. Try the Cricket thread again and see latest post from me. 

On 02/12/2016 at 15:39, Voldy said:

Back row: L to R,  Mr W H Abrams, Mr S Evans, G Bullock,C Lees,G Sellars,W Shelton,G Walker,C Huntingdon, Mr Ridley, Mr Eyre(&2 sons)

Front row: L to R, T Clarkson,G Cousins,T Garnham,E Huntingdon,J Dalehpqscan0002.jpg

Voldy - hope this is of interest !

23rd April 1921

23:4:1921.jpeg

27th July 1921

vickers a.jpeg

vickers b 27:7:21.jpeg

vickers c.jpeg

1924.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/12/2016 at 10:39, Gordon crapper said:

Hi again.  I have two more photos, for the preceding and following seasons.  In the latter my dad Clifford was captain and Firth's were champions of the Raleigh League.  I also have his medals, gold that year but two seasons later 1922-23 silver, runners up in the Drake League, so I wonder if Drake was a promotion from Raleigh.  The inscription on the silver suggests they were the Sheffield and District Works Sports Association, which still has a website, but no longer seems to include football.  All pictures attached.  I wonder why they were named after Elizabethan sailors, and if there were any other divisions.

1919 001 Firth's Football Team.JPG

1921 001 Firth's Football Team 1921-22.JPG

1920-21 Football Medal 01.jpg

1920-21 Football Medal 02.jpg

1922-23 Football Medal 03.jpg

1922-23 Football Medal 04.jpg

25th April 1921

25-4-1921.jpeg

• Like 1

Many thanks dunsby for the excellent research on the details of the talent of the young local footballers almost a century ago. The younger lads defeating their older opponents so convincingly. It was refreshing to watch today's England U-17 team beating Spain (in India) in such style.

On the original post I think Mr W G Evans is second from left on the back row ( somewhere I have an old cutting of his life story). Never knew about the  Whiteley Wood Hall award ceremony which must have been much appreciated by those attending. It has turned out to be an interesting thread thanks to all for their contributions from members, great "Over-70's?"  ;-) teamwork . 

• Like 1