Sheffield Co-Op Christmas Sleigh Ride

Sheffield History

Listen up Sheffield History - I'm Looking for help with this one people!

First of all does anyone remember the old Sheffield Co-Op's old sleigh ride at Christmas?

I remember as a kid sitting there absolutely enchanted as the ride took us through some incredible landscapes on the way to see Father Christmas and get a toy and a photo

Does anyone remember this? 

Also did anyone work at Sheffield Co-Op and have anything to do with it?

I remember it being a ride through landscapes but no a sleigh, I'm sure I remember it being a submarine ride one year and a space rocket the another year, there were mannequins at the front that were steering the vessel which gave me the creeps as a youngster .

I do vaguely remember the sleigh ride - mechanical reindeers apparently pulling the sleigh and all. I'm guessing I would have been taken to it around 1980.

When i was 16 i did six months work experience at Castle House (around 1978 or 1979). We used to move round departments and i got placed at the sleigh ride. My job was to set off the sleigh and the taped music. It was just seats and it was only the scenery that moved. The tape used to get stuck and keep repeating the same line over and over. Also the Father Christmas was a right grump and liked the odd tipple of a lunchtime. I remember when the lights went out and the sleigh appeared to move the kids started crying.

1 minute ago, caz1 said:

When i was 16 i did six months work experience at Castle House (around 1978 or 1979). We used to move round departments and i got placed at the sleigh ride. My job was to set off the sleigh and the taped music. It was just seats and it was only the scenery that moved. The tape used to get stuck and keep repeating the same line over and over. Also the Father Christmas was a right grump and liked the odd tipple of a lunchtime. I remember when the lights went out and the sleigh appeared to move the kids started crying.

ha ha ha amazing story!

Thanks for sharing

Sounds like a nightmare behind the scenes but for us kids it was magical!