WW1 MEMORIAL

Wishing to place a cross for our Great Uncle William Arthur Colley Gnr  Royal Field Artillery who died 28/6/1916 on the Somme, for Remembrance Day we were dismayed to find that the plaque bearing the names of the men who worked at the Atlas works on Saville St had been moved. After searching my son found that it had been moved to inside AT Allvac ltd Cyclops works President Way just off Saville St and could only be accessed by appointment. Anyone know why it has been moved when the original wall at the Atlas works is still there? It surely should have been left in its original place where it was easily accessible to anyone wishing to view and leave their tokens of Remembrance at any time.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27662

The problem with a lot of plaques is that they are made of metal and easily stolen and melted down. I remember my mentioning that when he went to a scrap yard in the 70's there were a lot of war plaques propped up at the entrance where they had been stolen and the scrap yard owner said to the person who brought them to either leave them there or he would call the police, so they were left and eventually returned to a safer place.