Baileys nightclub on Bank Street Sheffield

Sheffield History

baileys3.jpg

BAILEYS NIGHTCLUB
BANK STREET
SHEFFIELD CITY CENTRE

Does anyone remember Baileys nightclub?

What can you tell us about it?

Where was it, what kind of people went? What sort of things happened there?

Post your memories below......

The fore runner to Romeo and Juliet's.

Only went once and I don't remember owt about that!

Anyone know what year it changed over?

I never went to Bailey's - I probably wasn't born. But I do have a tenuous story about the DJ Ray Stuart mentioned in that flyer. There was a sports reporter at Radio Hallam in the 70s and a lady I worked with encountered him in the Blue Ball in town, and he invited her to a party at Ray Stuart's house which I am just down the road from as I write this. There turned out to be no party, and indeed nobody in the house at all, he got her drunk and wheedled her into bed. The bounder! 

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 23.13.21.jpg

Larger version of the interior shot of Bailey's Nightclub in Sheffield

Looks like a fairly busy night!

On 06/11/2016 at 09:08, Sheffield History said:

baileys3.jpg

BAILEYS NIGHTCLUB
BANK STREET
SHEFFIELD CITY CENTRE

Does anyone remember Baileys nightclub?

What can you tell us about it?

Where was it, what kind of people went? What sort of things happened there?

Post your memories below......

I worked at Bailey's in the Cabaret Room in 1973.   Everyone sat at tables and was quite small & waitresses took drinks to the tables.  Top acts at the time appeared there, Lou Christie, Gerry Marsden, Mud, Showaddywaddy, Dave Berry, Julie Felix & Peter Wyngarde I recall to name a few whilst I was there.  Very much of its' time. 

One of my first jobs on joining the Morning Telegraph in January 1973 was to go to Bailey's and produce a feature on that week's act, the touring show of the TV favourite, The Comedians.  Of course, Bailey's, I was to learn, was a favourite watering hole of the newsroom at the Telegraph since most people didn't finish work until midnight or later. As a result in the nine months I worked at Kemsley House I got to see many of the big names - and free of charge!   This cutting is one of many from my files from that time. 

baileys comics1_25 Office Lens.jpg

• Like 1

On 24/04/2020 at 11:57, MissHavisham said:

I worked at Bailey's in the Cabaret Room in 1973.   Everyone sat at tables and was quite small & waitresses took drinks to the tables.  Top acts at the time appeared there, Lou Christie, Gerry Marsden, Mud, Showaddywaddy, Dave Berry, Julie Felix & Peter Wyngarde I recall to name a few whilst I was there.  Very much of its' time. 

We saw Lou Christie,also others i remember,Walker brothers,Tremelos,Gilbert O'sullivan,Bob monkhouse,Roy Castle,and others i can't remember.

• Like 1

This started life as The Cavendish Club. An upmarket nightery which had many famous names booked in Cabaret. Opened in the late 1960’s it was THE place to go back then. Most Sunday nights would find us there and there were always local celebrities United and Wednesday players,etc. Happy days!

CAVENDISH AD.jpg

It had an element of class about it, mainly because the head cases very rarely managed to get further than the excellent door staff. However all the good places eventually ended up as rough houses and one by one closed their doors.