Who can tell me what this Sheffield building was and where it was?

Sheffield History

post-110-1173004492.jpg

Take a look at this photo (click to zoom in)

Who can tell me what this place was, where it was, and what happened there?

This one is a bit harder, at a guess, top of Coulston Street,Snig Hill,Bridge Street, West Bar junction before the road changes, only clue I can see is Bescoby's , they were in that area still when I worked buses out of Bridge Street bus station.

According to Picture Sheffield:

Grand Public House and the Grand Picture Palace, Spring Street. Formerly the Grand Theatre of Varieties, also known as Bijou and New Star

Also discussed here:

More photos here on Picture Sheffield:

Grand Public House Photos

Within the thread on the link above, there's a number of comments about Rony Robinson touring it, on a Radio Sheffield broadcast about 15 years ago (23 from the date of the original post), before it was demolished?

The commentary on the photo's says it was demolished in 1938, to allow for road widening? So did it escape the wrecking ball?

I only ask, as in 1954, it's gone

1954 map of location

but in 1890 it's there?

1890 map of Location

.... or is Rony (and Radio Sheffield) older than I thought? lol

4 hours ago, Unitedite Returns said:

So this must have been roughly where the Sheffield Transport bus station buildings subsequently stood?

Comparing the 1954 to the 1890 map, the bus stands are directly where the block of buildings in the 1890 map show The Nottingham Hotel at the North side and the Pack Horse Inn at the South side. The Grand Public House is still standing in 1937, where it can be seen in this aerial photograph, although the aforementioned buldings have already been cleared and the area is in use by buses (or are some of those actually trams?)

Grand Public House - BFA Aerial photo with pin and caption, left centre of shot

The 1954 map definitely shows the Grand Public House has been demolished and replaced with a long narrow building, which after some digging around, I found a photo of the very area and the building is apparently the Civic Restaurants Dept. Office and Stores. The 'Haig' billboard is on the gable end of the building that used to back on to 'Court No.1' in the 1954 photo.

Bus shelters, Coulston Street looking towards Spring Street

October 1958 and a lot of poor souls, huddled in the rain, waiting for their bus! Wonder if the 'kiosk' was somewhere to get a paper, packet of fags, etc. similar to those dotted around Pond Street at one time?