Who used to have these Pick and Mix Biscuits in Sheffield?

Sheffield History

You could always tell if you were in an old Woolies because of the "emergency" gas lighting...and I see two of the tell tale globes in the picture. My mum would never buy these bics as she reckoned too many "mucky hands" had been on them whilst picking and choosing!

You'll remember this old chestnut then?  Bargain Hunter to Sales Assistant: "How much are your Chocolate Biscuits?"

SA: "1/6d a pound"

BH: "How much are your broken Chocolate Biscuits?"

SA: " A shilling a pound"

BH: " Break me a pound"!  

The biscuit sellers in the old Norfolk Market Hall was the "Caledonian Biscuit Company".

My memory may be failing (it is) but I don't think they did "Pick and Mix".

They did sell broken biscuits but I think they came in mixed bags.

I was never keen on eating anything from the Market Hall, I think it was the horrible pong that came from the stall-holders lavatories which were near the middle of the market.

It seemed to fill the entire place.

My mother worked in Styans cake and biscuit shop (spelling?) at the top of Bocking Lane Greenhill. we would often go in there and pick up a bag of mixed biscuits or more often the broken biscuits from the half empty tins to eat on the way home :) 

On 30/10/2016 at 16:11, hilldweller said:

The biscuit sellers in the old Norfolk Market Hall was the "Caledonian Biscuit Company".

My memory may be failing (it is) but I don't think they did "Pick and Mix".

They did sell broken biscuits but I think they came in mixed bags.

I was never keen on eating anything from the Market Hall, I think it was the horrible pong that came from the stall-holders lavatories which were near the middle of the market.

It seemed to fill the entire place.

On 30/10/2016 at 16:11, hilldweller said:

They didn't do a pick and mix but they did have broken biscuits in tin boxes with glass lids. My dad managed it for a while as I said in the post above