Removal of Stone Slabs

tozzin

Amey have started removing stone slabs from a wall near the Gleadless Medical Centre, this wall is the remnant of Newfield Hall, it may have been reduced in height but it's a quite nice stone wall around three feet high, last week I noticed Amey removing these fantastic stone slabs that top the wall and replacing them with concrete paving slabs. One of the workers there told me that they would go in storage for use in the better class areas as Gleadless Valley residents would probably steal them, I've lived here fifty years and not one of the slabs has gone missing in all that time. Another offence committed by Amey.

The wall with its stone slab topping

image.jpegimage.jpegThe replacement paving slabs

What's even more shocking is that job will cost about five times the amount that a normal builder would pay. And they would have charged 6 times the amount to put the old stones back.

13 hours ago, tozzin said:

Amey have started removing stone slabs from a wall near the Gleadless Medical Centre, this wall is the remnant of Newfield Hall, it may have been reduced in height but it's a quite nice stone wall around three feet high, last week I noticed Amey removing these fantastic stone slabs that top the wall and replacing them with concrete paving slabs. One of the workers there told me that they would go in storage for use in the better class areas as Gleadless Valley residents would probably steal them, I've lived here fifty years and not one of the slabs has gone missing in all that time. TAnother offence committed by Amey.

The wall with its stone slab topping

image.jpegimage.jpegThe replacement paving slabs

Contact your local Councillors fast.

Lyn

11 hours ago, lysander said:

Sad to say that stone paving and slabs have been nicked from all over the area...and long before Amey cam on the scene.

That may be the case but none have been stolen from this particular wall, I'm sure they have been stolen by Amey for a particular person or for future sale, there is no reason whatsoever for their removal, just where does it end. I have contacted four councillors including Juli Dore but I don't think she will answer me as she has ignored my emails before.

You have three Ward Councillors and they have a DUTY to respond to their constituents/ If you get no joy I suggest you find out when and where their next surgery is being held and go and see one of them or, cut out the Indians and go directly to the chief...Write to your MP and tell him/her that Councillors do not reply to your reasonable requests.. I find that MPs are more responsive than Councillors...but perhaps that's because I have one I know and he cares about his Constituents.

I'm afraid the political process has been sold by this Council as part of the Amey contract. I know countless people who have contacted their Councillors, made complaints, made Freedom of Information Requests, and seen all ignored. FOI's about Amey are called 'vexatious' and can legally be ignored. Labour Councillors will always support the Private Finance Initiative contract with Amey, which has 22 years to run. There is no checking or scrutiny process on work carried out and concerned citizens (of which I am one) have been abused, jeered, and slow handclapped by Councillors in the Town Hall chamber. I am part of Save Nether Edge Trees as well as trying to highlight pavement features and furniture disappearing. In 2014 I met with Amey bosses when my research found it's way into the national press and they confirmed that they have salvage rights over what they deem necessary to remove and replace. Cobbles, setts, lamps, drain covers, all historic and attractive and part of our heritage, are removed, scrapped, and sold by Amey every day.

The tree campaign is, with respect, perhaps rather more controversial than the removal of coping stones. If a Councillor ignores a reasonable request the go to your MP. If all else fails, then contact the press...no politician likes bad publicity. If you have been refused answers vis a FoIA request then, out of my own experience, appeal to the Commissioner...I have had "vexatious" refusals overturned, on appeal and answers given...although with some I was told the documentation I was wanting had been...shredded...lost...or never existed( even though it was referred to in Council Minutes)

I've received an email from Cate McDonald stating that Amey has been told it's unacceptable for them to have removed the slabs and they should re- instate them, as to whether they comply is another thing.

Amey were featured on BBC two the other day as part of a programme about how money is being wasted by organisations such as Amey. In Liverpool with cross party support Amey were sacked! Saving the Council a great deal of money.  

15 hours ago, andy1702 said:

It's time Amey were sacked in Sheffield too, along with all the councillors who engaged them in the first place! The whole lot of them seem to be as bent as a nine bob note! Granite setts ripped up, heritage lamp posts removed and either destroyed or given to charities who then proceed to sell them for next to nothing to a dealer and don't even mention the truely historic street furniture that is disappearing daily!

Forget making requests of crooked councillors, send your photos and stories direct to the newspapers and TV companies.

I shall point Ellen Beardmore from the Star towards this thread.

The Star already have this story along with photos but as per usual the Star seem to think the silly stories should take precedence over a historic wall.

5 hours ago, andy1702 said:

What has been the outcome with this wall?

Nothing as yet but it turns out it was the Housing that had them removed as they were a danger to the public, yet the cheap paving slabs that were used as a replacement have much sharper edges where they have been cut plus the continuation of the wall still has the original stone slabs, why have these been left?

Im currently waiting for the Chair for Housing to get back to me. The path that runs along side this wall has been dug up revealing the true depth or height of the wall, there's at least three feet of wall below the pavement surface and it just goes down, it could be over six feet in depth or height, a very substantial wall.

Amey claim that only three stone coping stones were on the wall as all the others had been stolen so to make the wall safe? they removed the three remaining stones and replaced them with paving slabs. They didn't know that I have photos refuting this claim of only three coping stones being left, Cllr Jayne Dunn is furious with Amey and has told them that the stone coping stones have to be put back. This photo shows just one stone missing near the old gatepost but it had just been pushed off and was at the rear of the wall.

image.jpeg

Latest on the coping stones: Amey have told the Police that the stones were taken to a secure compound where someone broke in and stole them all, the paving slabs were then put on the wall to make it safe, this excuse is just a tissue of lies as a number of coping stones were removed then replaced with paving slabs. The photo shows that with stones leant against the wall along with paving slabs, this proves to me it was all planned to remove the stones and sell them on. I don't remember seeing any stories in the Star informing us of a theft from an Amey secure compound, absolute rubbish.

Vin

It is amazing how quickly SCC/Amey  lose items from their compounds. Break in or no break ins. Maybe if SCC/Amey were made to replace anything stolen or missing with bought in old paving slabs etc at the price they are, they might just be more careful.

The old ESC clubhouse on Shiregreen Lane was recently demolished due to SCC's neglect and broken promises. http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;a00726&pos=37&action=zoom&id=90212 .The Steel City Bowling Club who use the bowling green on the site asked that they be allowed to have the metal sign ESC 1937 to add to their club and keep some of the history of the area instead of it being lost. http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;a00728&pos=38&action=zoom&id=90213

They club was told by Council officials yes certainly they could have it. Where is it now?????????

No one knows and the club acted promptly on this at the time of demolition having been told by the workmen it had just been taken to a safe place to store for them. Those who 'okayed' this have no idea where it is. 

What's very strange about this theft, the Star will not run it, I've contacted George Torr, sent him photos and facts, nothing, I've written a letter to the Letters page but to no avail, has Nancy Fielder squashed the story?

The Star unfortunately just do not seem to have the same calibre of reporters they used to have or even the same way of finding things out. Like schoolkids doing their homework they just seem sit at their laptops/phones and pick up bits of items of interest. A bit like watching channel 5 news - for those with a short attention span who struggle with digesting real news. 

10 hours ago, Lyn 1 said:

The Star unfortunately just do not seem to have the same calibre of reporters they used to have or even the same way of finding things out. Like schoolkids doing their homework they just seem sit at their laptops/phones and pick up bits of items of interest. A bit like watching channel 5 news - for those with a short attention span who struggle with digesting real news. 

They also sit looking at Facebook, Twitter etc. then they go and print the same story twice.

I had completely missed the news that the old ESC club on Shiregreen Lane had gone. What a disgraceful example of civic and local vandalism. I virtually grew up at the club and well remember my Mum and Dad taking me there on Saturday nights to the dance where they could have a drink and kids could have a bottle of orange pop and a bag of crisps. They were safe to run around outside, in summer gathering frogs from the nearby quarry pond...we even ran  around outside in winter.....much to the chagrin of the groundsman...who kept the best bowling green in the area and objected to little footprints left on  his wet  but still hallowed turf. I learned to dance there and, as I grew older, learned much else as well!

A wonderful place with its football, rugby, tennis, bowls , snooker ( I saw world champion, Joe Davis, play there) and cricket facilities and the never to be forgotten Galas...People were much poorer  but shared more in the way of community and, I daresay, we were considerably fitter  ?

On 12/8/2016 at 08:33, tozzin said:

Latest on the coping stones: Amey have told the Police that the stones were taken to a secure compound where someone broke in and stole them all, the paving slabs were then put on the wall to make it safe, this excuse is just a tissue of lies as a number of coping stones were removed then replaced with paving slabs. The photo shows that with stones leant against the wall along with paving slabs, this proves to me it was all planned to remove the stones and sell them on. I don't remember seeing any stories in the Star informing us of a theft from an Amey secure compound, absolute rubbish.

If they were stolen then Amey should have a crime number and be able to replace then with the insurance