Paddock Farm, Lane Top

Edmund

I'm after some help please.  Paddock Farm at Lane Top was diagonally opposite the Pheasant.  I wonder if anyone knows the history of it as I can find little beyond it being a racehorse training operation, with a St Leger winner, and visited by Lillie Langtry and the Prince of Wales.

My reason for interest is that I'm trying to find the location of a house called "Tythe Lathe".  This was built by John Wilkinson of Crowder House in the late 1700s when he moved out of Crowder, with a view to his wife Mary living there after his death (John died in 1812 and Mary in1835).  An agreement was signed in 1786 which set up a "fee tail" so that Crowder would pass to his eldest son - who unfortunately died young, so negating the agreement.  John's will required Crowder to be mortgaged to provide funds for his widow, the 1786 agreement intended to keep Crowder in the family despite the mortgage.  It all went terribly wrong...

The reason for suspecting Paddock Farm to be John's "Tythe Laithe" comes from some lease agreements made with the Duke of Norfolk.

Lease Far Fields 24th December 1789 John Wilkinson. The Far Fields in five parts, and one of the Line Fields, totalling 27a 12r 27p, together with all the tithe of corn, grain or composition money in lieu arising from and belonging to the Owner as well of the said hereby demised premises as some other Lands called the Tithe Fields of the said Duke of Norfolk in the possession of the said John Wilkinson.  Lease for 21 years at rent of £24 per year.

Lease Tithe Lathe 8th November 1798 between John Wilkinson and the Duke of Norfolk. All that Messuage or Dwelling House formerly a Tithe Barn with stable corn House and Lathe lately erected by the said John Wilkinson. And all those two Fields Closes or Parcels of Land commonly called or known by the names of the Line Fields containing by survey the separate Quantities mentioned in the margin of these presents and in the whole eight acres three roods and twenty six perches or thereabouts and which said premises are situate and being near the four Lane  ends in the said Parish of Ecclesfield and were late in Lease to James Turner and are now and for several years last past have been in the Occupation of the said John Wilkinson. The Lease is from 29th September 1798 for 21 years at rent of £10 10s plus one days Boon work with two horses per year.

The Line fields (called Lincroft in 1637) were just north of the Crowder estate adjacent to Elm Lane (called Lincroft Lane in 1637), the Far Fields were on the north side of Elm Lane.  The only buildings the 1850 map shows in this area is Cliffe House, the farm at Lane End, now Paddock Farm, and buildings opposite Paddock Farm. (map below)

Paddock Farm.png

Sorry can't help you but having once lived in those parts for very many years, what you have found out was very interesting. I knew about the racing stables but was always under the impression that the Paddocks were situated to the North of Lane Top down what is now Barnsley Road

In 1879 Mr Henry May was the owner of Cliffe House shown on the map, he is also listed as a land owner , Charles Ashton is also listed in the same year as Victualler at the Pheasant and he is also listed as a Farmer, perhaps he had Paddock Farm which seems to be just opposite.

Think that is the Cliffe house at Dronfield - 

May, Henry (Esq., ).
     Address: Cliffe House, Dronfield, in 1871.
     Recorded in: Whites Sheffield & District Directory - 1871.

Lyn

Checked Henry May and I DID get the wrong one:

May Henry, land owner, Cliffe house;
and Unstone 1879

Elliott James, stud groom to G .
A. Wilson esq. Sheffield Lane
paddocks 1905