Buildings at Risk register & Local List

duckweed

Working as part of Joined up Heritage on data collection. Turns out the local list is lost somewhere in Council files and Council's own at Risk register hasn't been done since 2009. So we are compiling our own Local list and our own at Risk register. So this doesn't just mean buildings that Historic England has seen fit in past to allow to be listed but any buildings we in Sheffield feel are important to the historic character of an area or the history of the city as a whole (including those that will be in the new devolved area) Also includes Parks, woodlands, weirs and Dams. Also including conservation areas and archaeological sites and wildlife sites. 

So if you think something should be on either list as locally important or at risk of being lost. Can you please help by either compiling a list on the Sheffield History forum or sending me details ie where they are and photos of their condition if relevant?  email me at timewalkproject@gmail.com or DM me through the forum.

The plus side of us compiling our own list is that we own it and it won't disappear into some file somewhere.

Also looking at the number of listed buildings that are commercially used. Ideally would be able to estimate the number of jobs these buildings supply but is going to be a difficult one as in my experience asking businesses online is very hit and miss. At moment I am cataloguing every listed building that is in commercial use or community use. (There is quite obviously a large number of fine and historic buildings that aren't listed but should be which contribute to the economy of the city)  

This is a big job so any keen photographers and concerned historians please help us.  Hopefully when we have this data we can look to drawing up neighbourhood plans and designating some buildings as community assets. It will also help us when we draw up the heritage strategy and look for funding where needed. This has never been done in Sheffield before and is high time it was. Left to the Council and Historic England the emphasis has been on late 18th and 19th century cutlery making, leaving put both the ancient heritage and the more recent heritage such as music industry. If we make our own plan and strategy the emphasis will be on what we find important to preserve. Of course we then have to sell it to the Council but I do think attitudes are shifting on that one.