Lobb family in Sheffield

TRowe

Good Morning All

I am trying to trace members of the Lobb family, here are a couple of dates and names, to see if any ring any bells. Mr & Mrs R Lobb, their Daughter Margaret who was married to Frederick Hargate ? ( the H maybe another letter) June 1966 St Christophers Church, Shiregreen, the R. Lobb is Ronald or Ronnie Lobb, i last saw him in 2005/2006, when he was staying at Shearings Hotel in Scarborough, going back in time, Ronnies', Mother married a Edward/Ted/Teddy Davy, (died 1942/43 in Sheffield), Ronnies brother, had jobs from playing in big bands, RAF Aircrew, to Piano makers / finishers.

Thank you for reading so far, if nothing rings a bell Thank you, if Something is ringing a bell it would be wonderful to hear from you and i could fill in some gaps

Terry Rowe

Hope this helps:

At St Silas church on 28th January 1911 Leonard Lawrence Lobb aged 22 and living at 7 Aberdeen Street, the son of Henry (“Harry”) Richard Lobb, married Nellie Ryalls aged 21,  of 20 Egerton Street, daughter of James Ryalls.  When they completed the 1911 census they were living at the Aberdeen Street address (3 rooms) and Leonard was a warehouseman and packer of engineers tools.

At the 1901 census Harry Lobb (42, Iron turner born in Manchester) and his wife Jane (35, a Sheffield lass), were living at 12 house 2 Egerton Street with their offspring Harry junior (16 also an Iron Turner born in Manchester), Albert  (14 an errand boy, though girl is written), Leonard (12), John (7),and Fred (4).

In the 3rd quarter of 1907 Leonard’s younger brother Albert Edwin Lobb (dob 26th July 1886) married Edith Ryalls, and in 1939 he was a knife packer living with Edith at 35 Wath Road. Albert Edwin died aged 78 at Winter Street Hospital and was buried on 4th January 1965, in the same grave as his brother Leonard. The grave was used for Albert's wife Edith, who died at the Royal. aged 88 and was buried on 18th February 1976.

On 8th February 1916 at the Sheffield Munitions Tribunal "Henry Richard Lobb, 51 Crookesmoor Road, a machinist, lost 298 1/2 hours while employed at Hadfields. Defendant said he had been ill, and had sent in several doctor's certificates. His foreman denied receiving any certificates. Sir William Clegg said it was a very bad case, and imposed a penalty of £3"

Leonard Lobb, a grocer, died aged 37 and was buried on 5th August 1926 at Abbey Lane. His widow Nellie Lobb (dob 27 May 1889) was re-married to Ted Davy (dob 1 Nov 1888), in the 1st quarter of 1929. Ten years later they were living at 7 Sheldon Lane, Stannington. Ted worked as a motor engineer.

Ronald Lobb ("mother maiden name Ryalls") was born in the 2nd quarter of 1920 in Sheffield. His brother Lawrence was born on 8th September 1912 and baptised at the Sheffield Parish church on the 22nd, the family were living at 30 Allerton Road and his father Leonard was a warehouseman. Lawrence married Gladys M Crownshaw in 1934. Ronald's sister Nellie was born in the 3rd quarter of 1915, and married Cyril Crownshall on 2nd March 1935 at St Philips.

A Ronald Lobb joined the Royal Artillery in 1937 (service number 876571) though it's not certain that this was the Ronald we are discussing - however he is not found on the 1939 census so could well have been on military duty.

A Ronald Lobb married Edith Harrison in Sheffield in the 2nd quarter of 1945. A Henry R Lobb married Alice Longley in Sheffield in the 2nd quarter of 1934.

On  5th April 1939 Mr & Mrs Ronald Lobb atttended the funeral of John Robert Watts, governing director of John Watts cutlery manufacturers, at Fulwood church. They were listed as family mourners, John Watts died aged 80 at 8 Oakholme Road.

• Like 1

Edmond I am amazed how much you know about my family history I am Albert Lobb and Edith Ryalls great grandaughter. Are you related to the Lobb Family?

Dear Edmund,

Thank you, so very much, for all of this information, am just going to read it properly now, I just had to say how greatful I am for this information.

My Granddad was Ted Davy, I know very little about him, although I can now discount the E Davy born 1898, so, apart from, he was on Tanks in WW1, now I have a d.o.b, I can separate him from the other T / E Davy's in South Yorkshire military service results, my Dad said, Grandad was put through mechanical apprenticeship, because his parents had a garage in Eastwood, not Doncaster, so that matches up with 1939 census, but, this does create more questions about, actions and dates, that happened to Dad, the only other thing. I knew was that Grandad had passed during WW2 and is buried somewhere in Sheffield.

Sorry I didn't reply back to you sooner, but, my Dad has passed away, so his passing, sorting out, clearing out and then taking on the family home, which needed work, to be done to it, time has just flown by.

Once again, A Big Thank you, this has given me a kick, to work at it more and sort out Grandmother's side, E. Rowe of Rossington / Tickhill, because, we have even less information, about her, since my Dad went with Grandad to Sheffield at very young age.

Please keep safe

Terry or my Sunday name Terence Edward Rowe

Dear Edmund,

Thank you, so very much, for all of this information, am just going to read it properly now, I just had to say how greatful I am for this information.

My Granddad was Ted Davy, I know very little about him, although I can now discount the E Davy born 1898, so, apart from, he was on Tanks in WW1, now I have a d.o.b, I can separate him from the other T / E Davy's in South Yorkshire military service results, my Dad said, Grandad was put through mechanical apprenticeship, because his parents had a garage in Eastwood, not Doncaster, so that matches up with 1939 census, but, this does create more questions about, actions and dates, that happened to Dad, the only other thing. I knew was that Grandad had passed during WW2 and is buried somewhere in Sheffield.

Sorry I didn't reply back to you sooner, but, my Dad has passed away, so his passing, sorting out, clearing out and then taking on the family home, which needed work, to be done to it, time has just flown by.

Once again, A Big Thank you, this has given me a kick, to work at it more and sort out Grandmother's side, E. Rowe of Rossington / Tickhill, because, we have even less information, about her, since my Dad went with Grandad to Sheffield at very young age.

Please keep safe

Terry or my Sunday name Terence Edward Rowe

On 26/02/2018 at 17:40, jellio said:

Edmond I am amazed how much you know about my family history I am Albert Lobb and Edith Ryalls great grandaughter. Are you related to the Lobb Family?

Hello Jellio

As you can now see this is my connection to the Lobb family, when I saw Ronnie at Scarborough, he did say, that all the Lobbs in Sheffield were related to him, when we were talking about the size of the family, I only remember a few of the family, that I met at Bridlington, each summer and the once we went to Sheffield, but that was so long ago, the lady whos' garden Dad looked after, lent her Triumph Herald, to us for the day. I did try to find Ronnie 4 1/2 years ago, without success, but thinking about it Dad was a month short of his 90th Birthday and I think Ronnie is older.

Keep safe

regards

Terry Rowe