" Shaddows" ex Owl and "Mother" ex Owl.

castle boy

Anyone remember these two Post - War Owls players.

One a flying winger - - - he partnered Redfern Froggatt .

One a stalwart defender  - - -  known famously by fans as being able to run faster backwards  than he could run forwards.

First one sounds like Dennis Woodhead whose career was shortened after breaking a leg. The defender  Cyril Turton (Centre Half) who must have had an extra strong skull as he would head even the wettest of leather footballs which in those days was considered a very brave act! Also heard him called 'Concrete Head' on the Kop.

18 hours ago, Voldy said:

Voly one souJordan  Dennis Woo dhead whose ca reer was shorgreatfter breaking a leg. The d efender  Cyril Turton (Centre Half) who must have had an extra strong skull as he would head even the wettest of leather footballs which in those days was considered a very brave act! Also heard him called 'Concrete Head' on the Kop.

Not Dennis Woodhead although he too was a very fast winger who totalled 21 Lge and Cup goals in the 1953/54 season.  This was a great achievement for a non  striker    

providing crosses for Jackie Sewell, Albert Quixall ' Golden Boy ', Redfern Froggatt, and ex Miller Jack Shaw plus Clarrie Jordan ex Donny Rovers.

You're absolutely correct Voldy in saying Cyril " Mother " Turton the defender. Well done.

Just waiting now for someone to name the player given the nickname " SHADDOWS ".

There was a T Shadbolt who only spent about two months with the Owls (think he was a winger) though the other candidate I have in mind is Charlie Tomlinson who wore the No 11 shirt with distinction partnering Redfern Froggatt. Can't remember the nickname, maybe my absence on National Service is a reason for not knowing; wonder if Leslie Welch would have known?lol

the shaddows ,could it be Norman Curtis i remember watching him against Stan Mathews at Hillsbro ,Norman never left him alone all afternoon just about played Stan off the field.He did this with most wingers.I think Alan Finney ,Ken Mackintosh,George Davis were playing about this time.:wacko:

On Friday, July 08, 2016 at 15:11, Voldy said:

There was a T Shadbolt who only spent about two months with the Owls (think he was a winger) though the other candidate I have in mind is Charlie Tomlinson who wore the No 11 shirt with distinction partnering Redfern Froggatt. Can't remember the nickname, maybe my absence on National Service is a reason for not knowing; wonder if Leslie Welch would have known?lol

Well done Voldy, it was Charlie SHADDOWS Tomlinson outside left ( 1944 - 1951 with the Owls ).

In 1949 he scored the fastest ever goal by an Owls player in 12 secs PNE v Wednesday at Deepdale.

John Pearson equalled this achievement  (12 secs ) Owls v Bolton in 1982.

Hi - castle boy, perhaps you can help me to confirm the date on which I saw my first Wed v Utd match at Hillsborough during the War Years. Wednesday won 3-1 and Albert "Jumbo" Ashley was No2 that day. I also recall watching an England v Scotland match ending 5-4, the programme (unfortunately now lost) identified the clubs the players represented round about the end of the war. 

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 12:11, Voldy said:

Hi - castle boy, perhaps you can help me to confirm the date on which I saw my first Wed v Utd match at Hillsborough during the War Years. Wednesday won 3-1 and Albert "Jumbo" Ashley was No2 that day. I also recall watching an England v Scotland match ending 5-4, the programme (unfortunately now lost) identified the clubs the players represented round about the end of the war. 

Hiya -Voldy pal, can't recall the Wednesday 3-1 v Utd match during War Years .

On the 6th of February 1943 Utd beat Wednesday 3 - 1 at Bramall Lane.I believe it to be a Lge North / County Cup match. (Could this be your first Wed v  Utd match ?).

On the 13th of  February 1943 Wednesday beat Utd 8 - 2 at Hillsborough in the return match Lge North / County Cup match.

You're absolutely correct in saying Albert Ashley wore the No 2 shirt at right back , he played in both matches.

Hi castle boy; thanks for the response, I've been trying to find more memorabilia to resolve the year of my first local derby match. It was definitely at Hillsborough, sitting on a sloping concrete wall at the corner of the Kop by the old (out of use) North stand, but I don't remember 8-2 as the score. [ Maybe 3-1 was the half-time score :unsure:] Other players I recall were Ted Catlin (3) Walter Millership (5) and Jackie Robinson (8) whose Autographs I subsequently acquired at the ground around that time (1943). The first football match I saw at Bramall Lane was Blades v Preston NE a 3-2 win for United who had the newly signed Joe Cockroft at left-half.

Some other fixtures I saw were Wed 9 v Mansfield Town 1 ( after, Wed won 10-2 at Field Mill) and the '43 second leg of the northern Final against Blackpool losing 2-1; I was behind the goal at the Leppings Lane end for that (can't think why unless it was ticket only!) Albert Morton was the 'keeper' that day and Frank Melling No 9. I feel sure my first visit to the ground was before 1943 so I'll keep looking.

By way of an update on my previous posts, I have found a preview on Google books of 'A Record of British Wartime Football' by Brian McColl which has confirmed for me the date of my first visit to Hillsborough. It was 14th April 1941 and the score was 3-1 ( North Regional League), a goalless draw against United earlier was on 25/12/1940 only a couple of weeks after the Blitz. The Mansfield Town fixtures were later on 7th & 14th Nov 1942 the Northern Cup Final against Blackpool was April/May 1943 as stated in the previous post. Still looking for the date of the England/Scotland Representative game at Hillsborough 'before resumption of normal service'!.

Finally, looks like the answer to the "England/Scotland" encounter at Hillsborough was in fact an "Army in England XI v Army in Scotland XI" fixture which was played on 4th April 1942. I was wrong on the score as 'England' won 4-1 with Tommy Lawton (3) and Jimmy Hagan (1) scoring for 'England' though after 75 years memories can be expected to waver on details! :unsure: 

On 23/05/2017 at 11:23, Voldy said:

Finally, looks like the answer to the "England/Scotland" encounter at Hillsborough was in fact an "Army in England XI v Army in Scotland XI" fixture which was played on 4th April 1942. I was wrong on the score as 'England' won 4-1 with Tommy Lawton (3) and Jimmy Hagan (1) scoring for 'England' though after 75 years memories can be expected to waver on details! :unsure: 

:-)

England vs Scotland 1942.jpeg

Yes! I bought one of those that day, sadly when I started work a 'springclean' saw the disappearance of a number of memorabilia items (including Dinky toys) and included that programme :(  Fortunately I still have my Autograph Book and a few Wednesday players' signatures of the 40's as a nostalgic record. Many thanks dunsbyowl1867 for your post, 

No thanks for sharing your memories - I assume you'll rememebr and have the autographs of a frew of these ? ;-)

swfc1943ot_zps909a7ab3.jpeg

That has just made my day!! Don't remember seeing that picture before but the faces are so familiar and can confirm that seven of the players names are in my book. None were collected on match day, the crowd was over 42000 so little chance of a small boy getting autographs that day.{Apparently I was so upset that Wednesday lost 2-1 that I wouldn't eat my tea that evening!} 

Notice how the  defence are all standing and carefully "height graded"(the biggest in the centre) with numbers 7 to 11 (L to R) seated. That leather T ball was considered by us kids to be the best available, though any very wet leather ball heavy and difficult to deal with. In the second post on this thread I mentioned Cyril Turton's courage on such occasions in later years.