jimmydunneclone

Sweet Shop Chesterfield Road

11 posts in this topic

As a child of 4 in 1967 I recall my mum taking me in a shop on Chesterfield Rd to buy a lolly.For many years I have been searching for a picture of said premises.Finally 49 years later one has appeared on Picture Sheffield.Does anyone remember this shop-on the left? Can anyone tell me the owners name and the shop number?

ches rd.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the building is now sk estate agents which is 868 chesterfield road.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in a different image on picture sheffield shop is called "sugar bowl". 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mrs. Vera Thwaites  confctnr. 1963

 

Mrs E.M.LISTER confectioner 1968

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I moved away in April 1968 so one of the above will be right.Cheers neddy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was at the paper shop opposite in 1967 and it belonged to yhe listers then

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm that this was indeed the 'Sugar Bowl' as my parents had this shop between 1982 and 1984.

As I recall, next door was a shoe cobblers, I think he went by the name of Ivan? And opposite was an estate agents, Whitegates I believe. 

Unfortunatley I don't have any photographs of the old shop which is a shame. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, greeny73 said:

I can confirm that this was indeed the 'Sugar Bowl' as my parents had this shop between 1982 and 1984.

As I recall, next door was a shoe cobblers, I think he went by the name of Ivan? And opposite was an estate agents, Whitegates I believe. 

Unfortunatley I don't have any photographs of the old shop which is a shame. 

The shoe repairer next door was Ivan Hayter, great bloke, he gave me my first job and trained me as a shoe repairer when he was manager of Timpson Shoe Repairs on Abbeydale Road. I later went on to manage that shop and others. Ivan had an artificial leg but could still jump off a back loader in front of the shop as the bus slowed down for the next stop.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 19:18, boginspro said:

The shoe repairer next door was Ivan Hayter, great bloke, he gave me my first job and trained me as a shoe repairer when he was manager of Timpson Shoe Repairs on Abbeydale Road. I later went on to manage that shop and others. Ivan had an artificial leg but could still jump off a back loader in front of the shop as the bus slowed down for the next stop.

Not far from the sweet shop but in the opposite direction.

bedford 001.JPG

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Waterside Echo said:

Not far from the sweet shop but in the opposite direction.

bedford 001.JPG

That photo' brings back memories, thank you, back loader coming down, possibly 75/76 route and Atlantean going up, perhaps 42/53 route, so I think it must be 60's when Ivan was probably still managing the Timpson shop on Abbeydale Road.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, boginspro said:

That photo' brings back memories, thank you, back loader coming down, possibly 75/76 route and Atlantean going up, perhaps 42/53 route, so I think it must be 60's when Ivan was probably still managing the Timpson shop on Abbeydale Road.

Well boginspro,  The Atlantean is a 42 [number is very clear on original photo]. Service 42 ran to Graves Park and 53 ran to Woodseats [Abbey Lane].  All that changed mid 1966 when service 38 to Lowedges was abandoned and the 42/53 took its place. So looking looking closely at all the cars [the newest one looks to be a 63 FB Vauxhall Victor] I would date it 66/67. W/E.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now