Horse and Jockey, Sheaf Street

philkai

Not having much luck with the site search engine for some reason, brings up "0" results for anything I try, must be doing something wrong.

Anyway I will ask the question does anyone have any information regarding the Horse and Jockey on Sheaf Street circa 1861 with a landlord by the name of Thomas Vickers

14 Sheaf Street, Park. First known keeper 1825, closed 1901. Thomas Vickers landlord 1859-1868. Sold remarkably tasty monkey-nuts or maybe I just made that bit up ...

Back in the good old days, the links to pubs and maps were excellent, but they've all been trashed now, though the data is still there.  The site search facility has never been very good, so use google with "sheffield history" as the first search term.  The link to the page with the Horse and Jockey on is below.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/3530-pubs-f-to-m-keepers-picture-links/&page=16

In January 1861 Vickers was the successful defendant in a forged £10 case (Dr Flory of Myrtle road was the plaintiff).  Flory tried for a retrial in February but was turned down.

In July 1861, Vickers' gig was in an accident at the juction of High street and Market street.  Vickers was a Hay Dealer &c.  He ran into the carriage of Mrs Jeffcock and her daughter, on their way to Castle street. One of the injured carriage horses was taken to the Angel Inn stables and attended by a vet,

At the Brewster Sessions in August 1864, it was stated that in July Vickers had been fined 40s for a brutal attack on a boy (Henry Heathcote), who he claimed had attacked his own son, and that Vickers had "threatened and annoyed" Councillor Staniforth who was one of the witnesses against him. Vickers denied misconduct, but did apologise and on the intervention of Cllr. Staniforth his licence was renewed with a caution.

Vickers died in the second quarter of 1865. His wife Elizabeth continued at the Horse and Jockey and was fined in November 1865 for short measures.

In May 1866 there was an auction sale of Horses, Drays and Gearing connected with the Hay Trade, on the instructions of the trustees of the late Mr Vickers, his widow having given up the trade and sold the stock.

I am not sure but I think this was the pub we would go to at lunch time when we were on "day release" at Granvill College . One of us would ask to go to the toilet just before lunch time and run down there and order the best pork sarnies in Sheffield from the butcher next door. They would taste great with a quick pint of Stones. This would be mid 60's. the landlord was a bit *** I think.