***** garage Norfolk Bridge

Fiddlestick

Hello Steve, I think that would be it as it was on a corner plot. Content wouldn't allow the name I included which may have helped. Thanks a lot.

1 hour ago, Fiddlestick said:

Hello Steve, I think that would be it as it was on a corner plot. Content wouldn't allow the name I included which may have helped. Thanks a lot.

And I thought you was swearing :)

Later than you state, but the 1965 directory lists Blue Star Garage  Ltd., at 215 Attercliffe Road.

Thanks for the replys lads. That has to be the place, but it started off with the name I put which was starred out. I'll give it again and see if it comes up....it was called '*****' garage ( petrol station actually ) If it's blanked out again, why so, it isn't offensive or one for the PC brigade ?!

Do these photos ring any bells 'Fiddlestick'? If you look on Picture Sheffield and zoom the image, the service station sign says "R-E-G-E-N-T" (just in case I get censored too!). This photo is from 1966, whereas the photos I attached were from 06 April 1950.

R-E-G-E-N-T Service Station - 01 May 1966

Maybe the service station got a makeover and/or a name change in the 15 years between photos? However, the shop and cafe at No's 207 and 209 seem little changed?

Regent_SS_003.JPG

Regent_SS_002.JPG

Regent_SS_001.JPG

Terrific photos thanks ( which could have been taken by the Blackburn Beverley which flew over the city for days doing aerial photos back then if anyone else who's old enough remembers it. ) That's definitely the place, and I'm sure it was Regent petrol as you say. I don't think it was big enough to do tyres Tozzin. Now I'll try R.Longden's tactic with the name, so once more.....S-P-I-C-K  ( which is 'pick' with an 'S' in front ! ).  

On the photo where the Rotherham bus is passing, notice those classic Crittal (?) metal window frames on the office block opposite. They were installed everywhere back then, from airfields to industrial buildings and are as iconic as Anderson shelters ; many still survive, and if you press your ear up to one you'll still hear ' Calling all workers' being played on the wireless !

The Garage I was thinking of was at Salmon Pastures and it was a National Garage but seemed to deal in tyres more than anything, even J.C.B. Tyres.

3 hours ago, Fiddlestick said:

Terrific photos thanks ( which could have been taken by the Blackburn Beverley which flew over the city for days doing aerial photos back then if anyone else who's old enough remembers it. ) That's definitely the place, and I'm sure it was Regent petrol as you say. I don't think it was big enough to do tyres Tozzin. Now I'll try R.Longden's tactic with the name, so once more.....S-P-I-C-K  ( which is 'pick' with an 'S' in front ! ).  

On the photo where the Rotherham bus is passing, notice those classic Crittal (?) metal window frames on the office block opposite. They were installed everywhere back then, from airfields to industrial buildings and are as iconic as Anderson shelters ; many still survive, and if you press your ear up to one you'll still hear ' Calling all workers' being played on the wireless !

This was the flight the photos where taken from:

Burton on Trent to Sheffield via. Mansfield

No wonder you got censored trying to use that word previously. The site will have a inbuilt 'profanity filter' and although the word is only a mildly insulting slang name for a person of Latin Amercian origin, alarm bells will sound like you used the other word that rhymes with "Donald Duck"!!!

The old National Tyres garage was on the corner of Warren Street (the Washford Bridge end) and is still some sort of auto workshop)

I have a fabulous photo of that very garage from the 60's, taken by my Dad, who must have been hanging out of a window further along Attercliffe Road. He went to Salmon Pastures school and was born and bred on t'Cliffe. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Some houses were fitted with metal window frames as well... they quickly became a rust collector and were difficult to paint without smearing the glass. Sheffield had a company, Mellowes Ltd, down on Bridge Street who manufactured glazing. As a lad I worked for a Sheffield company which rolled special "glazing " bar sections for them