Sidney Morton & Partner

THYLACINE

So I find a bone handled knife in a drawer at work with the name Sidney Morton & Partner, manufacturing cutlers, Sheffield, Eng.

A SH search gave no result so I Googled the name and came up with a Consulting Physician at the Royal Hospital in Sheffield !860 - 1930 which was an interesting connection but not a lot of help?

1 hour ago, THYLACINE said:

So I find a bone handled knife in a drawer at work with the name Sidney Morton & Partner, manufacturing cutlers, Sheffield, Eng.

A SH search gave no result so I Googled the name and came up with a Consulting Physician at the Royal Hospital in Sheffield !860 - 1930 which was an interesting connection but not a lot of help?

Is there a trade mark on the blade?

I cant find any mention of a firm of called Sidney Morton & Partner but in Sheffield in  1911 there's quite a few Morton's working in all aspects of Cutlery making but no mention of a Sidney. Your knife was made after 1924 but what particular year I cant say, in my Kelly's 1976 directory no Morton is listed either, the only firm called Morton is William Morton & Son who's address was 175 Rockingham Street and this firm closed in 1971.

Thanks Tozzin for your efforts. I can't understand how a knife can turn up in Tasmania and no one in Sheffield has heard of it. Surely it can't be the only one in existence? Must be Chinese. I heard they have their own 'Sheffield' in China so they can legitimately inscribe 'Made in Sheffield' on their blades. Shame, its a damn good knife.

2 hours ago, THYLACINE said:

Thanks Tozzin for your efforts. I can't understand how a knife can turn up in Tasmania and no one in Sheffield has heard of it. Surely it can't be the only one in existence? Must be Chinese. I heard they have their own 'Sheffield' in China so they can legitimately inscribe 'Made in Sheffield' on their blades. Shame, its a damn good knife.

I don't think for one minute it's a foreign made knife, it could be Sidney Morton ordered knives from a manufacturer and had his name etched on them by the manufacturer, I worked for a largish cutlery firm and we did plenty of work for different companies who wanted their names etched on the blade. The Sheffield in China is a fallacy, if as you say it's a good knife, it's Sheffield made.