Silverdale Secondary Modern 1958-1964

Guest Michael Astill

Guest Michael Astill

Hi anyone out there who went to this School , it was pretty New when I went there , Mr Biggin was Headmaster-Mr Shooter-Mr Taylor -Mr Wasnidge Music teacher

On 14/12/2015 at 20:46, Guest Michael Astill said:

Hi anyone out there who went to this School , it was pretty New when I went there , Mr Biggin was Headmaster-Mr Shooter-Mr Taylor -Mr Wasnidge Music teacher

I attended when it was officially opened by Princes Alexandra, Melvyn Baxter. I remember all those teachers names, Mr Wasnidge was abrilliant music teacher.

I started at Silverdale in 1964, first year of the seniors but joined a few weeks into the term at my family moved from the other side of Sheffield. I left in 1968. Pupils were frightened of Mr Wasnidge. He had a foul temper & was known to throw music stands around in fits of rage at worst and common to have a board eraser thrown at you. My Shooter was a strict disciplinarian... quite common for him to dish out the cane. We had a brilliant English teacher Mr Horn who pupils nicknamed Honk Honk. He would resort to the cane but other punishments came in the form of having to learn the meaning of words or spell them correctly before you next were allowed in class. Ken Lee was the games teacher but I seem to remember he doubled up sometimes as a maths teacher. Here he is in the assembly hall with the football team circa 1965/66.

Back Row, left to right: ?, ?, Mr Lee, Tony Pashley(?), Douglas Reid, ?

Front Row left to right: ?, Robert Shelton, ?, ?, ?, Chris Drouin, Alan Kennedy

silverdale.jpg

Interesting. I went to Firth Park Grammar School between 1954 and 1959 and to the best of my knowledge ,the only Master who was officially allowed to use the cane…was the Headmaster and such events were recorded in the punishment book. I recall a few Masters did throw board rubbers around…as well as plimsolls but corporal punishment was rare….except for those thrown out of a class for misbehaviour….a patrolling Prefect or Master would quickly have them for a quick “interview” with the Head….ouch!