Crookes Valley Recreation Ground

SteveHB

Great picture, it's also showing the tall houses of Mushroom Lane. I can even see the windows of some of my

friends who lived in those houses. Those houses of Mushroom Lane always fascinated me how tall they were

or was it me who was just small at the time.

I agree, UKL, it's a great picture, although, a bit sad. Reminds me of a Lowry painting. The only 'recreation' going off appears to be walking . . . or just standing around. But wait! Is that a skate board park on the left?

It's not a classic 'wish you were here' card, but that is what they used to send back then. I have a postcard from Hartlepool showing bombed out buildings. (Wish you were here?)

However, a now-and-then shot would be interesting . . . 

I agree, UKL, it's a great picture, although, a bit sad. Reminds me of a Lowry painting. The only 'recreation' going off appears to be walking . . . or just standing around. But wait! Is that a skate board park on the left?

It's not a classic 'wish you were here' card, but that is what they used to send back then. I have a postcard from Hartlepool showing bombed out buildings. (Wish you were here?)

However, a now-and-then shot would be interesting . . . 

Coming up , watch this space.

It looks like we can't see the Winter Street Hospital for the trees.

These are taken from Oxford Street , you can see St Stephens church and somewhere higher up will be the hospital behind the trees.

Higher up you can see the university , how those trees have grown I could barely recognise it .

Thanks for the pictures UKL. I think they show how life has changed over the years, how the recreation ground, once a wide open space which might have hosted communal cricket or football matches, travelling fairs or circuses, maybe a gypsy camp (?) is now confined to people exercising their dogs or using it as a thoroughfare. I'm not being critical, it's a credit that, one hundred years on, it is still public land and part of the 'greening' of Sheffield.

This sign was also at the entrance of the " Ponderosa " and I noticed the names Belleffield Road

and Mushroom Road. I can't believe they have changed the names after all these years, they were

always known as Bellefield Street and Mushroom Lane.003.thumb.JPG.095cb0839716810149a41d523d

This sign was also at the entrance of the " Ponderosa " and I noticed the names Belleffield Road

and Mushroom Road. I can't believe they have changed the names after all these years, they were

always known as Bellefield Street and Mushroom Lane.

003.thumb.JPG.095cb0839716810149a41d523d

I don't think that the names of Bellefield and Mushroom Lane have been changed, it's some idiot who designed and compiled the information has got it all wrong, I've seen this before but can't remember where, whoever is responsible for the sign should be contacted and made aware of their mistake. This is what happens when research isn't done properly by young people from University who haven't a clue about Sheffield.