LED threat to Webb sewer gas destructor lamps

Lizziejampot

The City Council has a programme “Streets Ahead” which proposes to restore and refurbish Sheffield’s Webb sewer gas destructor lamps.  In general terms, this is good news.  However, I understand that as part of this programme, there is a proposal to replace any gas burners with LED lighting and I believe that such action will greatly devalue a precious local, national and international heritage asset.

Webb sewer gas destructor lamp are very rare now and it is my understanding that even though hundreds were made and installed a hundred years ago, (including many that were exported), only 46 survive anywhere in the world.   Sheffield’s topography meant that 81 were installed in this city, more than anywhere else in the UK and at the last count, 25 of these remain.  

However few of the remaining examples of Webb lamps still burn gas.  Those lamps which do still burn gas are very rare indeed (only seven in total) and we are very fortunate to have four of them in Sheffield.  The lamp on Brincliffe Edge Road, which is listed Grade II, still burns gas and is a source of great local pride in our community.  It was the very first Webb sewer gas destructor lamp to be installed in Sheffield, in 1914, after the Council received complaints about bad smells.  The lamp is a landmark;  it is part of the Brincliffe Historic Walk and it is the fact that it is still burning gas that so impresses people.

The lamp on Brincliffe Edge, together with the others that burn gas on Westbourne Road, Stewart Road in Sharrow Vale, and at Sharrow Head make our collection of international significance – Sheffield has most of the surviving lamps and most of the ones still burning gas. 

If you feel as strongly as I do about the Council's plan to convert the gas burners to LED, please contact any or all of the following to register your objection.

John.Stonard@sheffield.gov.uk    Conservation Officer

David.Marsh@sheffield.gov.uk    Conservation Officer

david.caulfield@sheffield.gov.uk    Chief Planning Officer

mel.ewell@amey.co.uk     Head of Amey, the firm that carries out the work.

Nikki.Bond@sheffield.gov.uk     Local Councillor for Nether Edge

I was walking around Nether Edge all day yesterday and saw the signs put on many old lampposts (not just the Webb Patents, but other ornate and interesting examples). Just to say that there are three Councillors in each ward and an election going on at the moment of course. Campaigners could ask all Nether Edge candidates for their views over the next three weeks. I am one of them and can be contacted here by private message for starters!

I've now found out that the decision about refurbishing the lamps is with Craig Spafford in the Street Lighting section of Highways .  But the decision about whether or not they can continue being gas lamps is up to Steve Robinson, who manages the contract with Amey on behalf of the Council.   steve.robinson@sheffield.gov.uk.  

​I'm shocked, but somehow not surprised, that the plans to convert the lamps to LED have been known for such a long time, without any hint of said plans being mentioned to the local community.  I was only alerted to the situation by someone living in Worrall.

It is also my understanding that the decision is due to be made in April i.e. before the election and therefore pressure needs to be brought to bear on the existing politicians as a matter of urgency.

I understand that Lizzie, and I am available to help before and after the election (win or lose). I hope it is clear on here what I think about preserving our history and my interest is not purely electoral !

Thanks Calvin - it's not so much the politics as the urgency.  In fact the small team now working on this is cross-party and we couldn't be more united!  Much to do now - starting a petition, getting a flier together, contacts to be made.  I'll keep you posted!

Thanks for that Andy - all grist to the mill.  And relieved that there's an environmentally friendly argument for keeping the gas burners.  And there are loads of dogs in Nether Edge ......

Petition signed.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the one adopted by the Stewart Road residents has had a new coat of paint.

Thanks Vox.  And good to hear about another example of how local communities really care about - and for - these lamps.  The City Council needs to take note.

Petition signed. Have you tried going to Radio Sheffield and Look North?

​Thanks Andy.  They're on our list!

Hardly dare post this ... but it looks like the Council and Amey have agreed to drop the LED idea.  Informal at the moment, so taking nothing for granted, but it's looking good.  Been promised a press release next week.  Bated breath .....

Victory!   Terrific news!  We now have it in writing that the Council has dropped plans to convert the gas-burning Webb sewer gas destructor lamps to LED.  Furthermore, the Council has requested that Amey, the contractor, replace the mantles on the Brincliffe Edge and Frog Walk lamps. Thank you to all who supported the petition.

"Lies and destruction from Amey and SCC". Whatever are you talking about? Please enumerate.-_-

Just a thought...Whatever happened to the sewer gas given that so many of these lamps have disappeared? Is it still there? If so, how do they dispose of it?