I Don't Hold Out Much Hope For This One

togger

Afternoon everyone

As the title says i am going to struggle with this request i think, so, here goes.

Does anyone have any images or know of any images of the interior of 'Back to back' houses? Told you it was a long shot. Any images will be a start and a MASSIVE help, but in particular i am looking for the type of back to back that had a Cellar, kitchen / living room on the ground floor bedroom on the first floor and an attic above that?

Thanks

Afternoon everyone

As the title says i am going to struggle with this request i think, so, here goes.

Does anyone have any images or know of any images of the interior of 'Back to back' houses? Told you it was a long shot. Any images will be a start and a MASSIVE help, but in particular i am looking for the type of back to back that had a Cellar, kitchen / living room on the ground floor bedroom on the first floor and an attic above that?

Thanks

Picture Sheffield has one undergoing demolition typical type narrow stairs cellar door at the side-- s13706

togger,

A couple of years ago I read a book called "Living back-to-back" by Christopher Upton, published by Chichester : Phillimore, 2005 (ISBN 1860773214).

It is based on Birmingham experience but may be useful for you. There are many photos in it both internal and external, plus plans. It is available on Amazon, and the advert allows the "Look Inside" feature which shows some of the photos in the book.

Link is: Living Back to Back

Guest Leipzig

Back the 1970's I saw an old architect in Sheffield Town Hall who pointed me in the direction of a book that contained a plan of a typical back-to-back house, the layout of which I remember very well from my childhood. Unfortunately I can no longer remember the details for the source of the book but this is the plan:

Select the image (twice), and from the options menu - select view all sizes, then select large image to see a bigger image.

I lived in a back to back house up to being 8 years old.

We had one small room down stairs with a stone sink, no hot water , we had a black leaded fire place with oven.

You heated the water on the open fire in a large pan or kettle unless you were posh and had a double gas ring that

had a rubber pipe which fastened to the gas tap which came out of the wall above the sink area.

We had one bedroom and one attic and how ten of us fitted in there i'll never know. Having said that I never

remembered the house being crowded but people spent more time outdoors then, no TV or computers, while we kids

were out playing out or at school the older ones would be at work or fishing down Rivelin.

I remember the flaking plaster up in the attic and the outside toilet which we shared with the neighbours in the

yard. If ever you got a mouse in the house the neighbour who backed you would always get the blame for that.

" it's coming through from the other side " they would say.

From court 2 Montgomery Terrace Road we backed onto court 3 Bedford Street as you can see top left of this 1890

map.