Amoid In The Old 'rag N Tag ' Castlefolds Market

castle boy

Can anyone remember 'Amoid ' he used to stand the old 'Rag n Tag' Castlefolds

market in the 1940's / 50's.He had a folding wooden top table and sold hair shampoo and restorer etc.He used to draw large crowds . Amoid had a bowl of water on his table and would give displays of washing and drying his hair to sell

his products. Amoid would wash and dry his hair countless times throughout the

day. Amoid would carry on his routine whatever the weather even if it was raining.

When I was a little lad I used to go down to the old 'Rag n Tag ' every Saturday

morning just to see Amoid and also the 'Edwards brothers' 'Potty Edwards'

juggling their plates and saucers high up into the air.I thought it great entertainment as youngster.Sadly a few years later Amoid died of pneumonia.

Just like to add so not to misguide anyone. Amoid did not have short hair so it

would be easy to wash and dry , no , he had a good crop of hair , the colour sort of

light peach. He used to stand other markets Rotherham , Barnsley also.

Imagine the numorous times he would wash his hair in the course of a week.

Anyone familiar with the old 'Rag n Tag ' Amoid stood right in the middle of the

market , outside the entrances to the market gardeners and the animal department,

just in front of the long standing jewellers Sadlers.

They were lovely days with a touch of Victorian character about them.

I think I vaguely remember someone with a table full of bottles and potions when

my mother used to take me when I was little but it was the big brass scales that used

to fascinate me.

That is what proper markets were all about , they will never come back.

You remember the big brass scales ukelele lady. There used to be two chaps with those type

of scales weighing people in the open, close to Amoids' wooden table.

Also I dont know if you remember but at the Rag and Tag entrance bottom of Dixon Lane a lady

used sit on a chair and she would shout ' guess your weight ' for a penny', she was very accurate.

Yes, you would sit on a swinging suspended chair, the kiddies used to love it.

Yes, the northern end entrance was between Binghams and Ogleys and the main route ran southwards to the bottom of Commercial Street from Dixon Lane ( in the foreground here).

yes I remember the lady with the brass scales when I went into Town with my mum on Saturday afternoon. Looking as the pictures brought back memories.

On 31 December 2016 at 16:06, Sheffield History said:

Rag an Tag Market Sheffield.jpg

The Rag and Tag Market did look a bit rubbish when you have another look at it didn't it?

This photo shows just the bit of the Rag 'n Tag where the trolleys the market people used were kept and where empty boxes and rubbish was kept, it s the rear of the flower market really, you can see a bloke shovelling it down one of the chutes into the back of a Lordy to be taken away.

The market was a grand place, swept away just to put a car park there

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 16:06, Sheffield History said:

Rag an Tag Market Sheffield.jpg

The Rag and Tag Market did look a bit rubbish when you have another look at it didn't it?

Were  Maces with all the pets down this little  off shoot?

40 minutes ago, ukelele lady said:

Were  Maces with all the pets down this little  off shoot?

No, I don't think Maces had a place in this market, they had their place under the Norfolk Market Hall on  Exchange Street. The animals were sold in the Rag n Tag just a bit further on from this small alley and the building ran on the same alignment .

Just to clarify, it was Ogleys (see earlier photo) who sold the pets here, as tozzin describes Maces were down the stone stairs opposite the tram terminus of the Rotherham route in Exchange street.

1 hour ago, Voldy said:

Just to clarify, it was Ogleys (see earlier photo) who sold the pets here, as tozzin describes Maces were down the stone stairs opposite the tram terminus of the Rotherham route in Exchange street.

That's correct, Ogleys stood close to the Dixon Lane entrance but inside the Market as I mentioned, pigeons, rabbits, rats, mice, pups, kittens and ferrets could all be bought, I'm sure the sellers were all independent traders.

Ogleys, Binghams and the market entrance were actually on Broad Street, Dixon Lane ended at the Norfolk Arms pub.

1 hour ago, boginspro said:

Ogleys, Binghams and the market entrance were actually on Broad Street, Dixon Lane ended at the Norfolk Arms pub.

I didn't mean Dixon lane had an entrance, it was meant to indicate it was at that end, there was also an entrance at the corner of Sheaf Street and Commercial Street. 

On 01/02/2017 at 19:11, tozzin said:

I didn't mean Dixon lane had an entrance, it was meant to indicate it was at that end, there was also an entrance at the corner of Sheaf Street and Commercial Street. 

Sorry Tozzin, I was mainly commenting on a post further up, I should have quoted. My usual entrance was from Shude Hill and it was a tight squeeze to get in some days, if memory serves me right the biggest crowd was always in front of Potty Edwards stall, I probably never bought anything from him but he certainly entertained me for a long time.