Schools - Brightside & Burngreave Areas

Guest Emma Carter

Guest Emma Carter

I am trying to find 2 school which my ancestors may have attended the first one I am trying to find is around Brightside Lane, Don Road, Alfred Road/Street and Newhall Road Iam looking from 1893 to 1920 the second one is around Burngreave my ancestors lived on Carlisle Street from 1895 till 1930 Also iam trying to find out when the houses on these street was pulled down I do not live in Sheffield and unable to get to Sheffield any info including maps t

Thanks

I suspect one school is Carlisle St (sadly the admission registers for that are lost) . It could just be All Saints though & the admission registers for that can be found on the Sheffield Indexers site (my parents are on those).

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2014 at 16:58, johnm said:

I suspect one school is Carlisle St (sadly the admission registers for that are lost) . It could just be All Saints though & the admission registers for that can be found on the Sheffield Indexers site (my parents are on those).

The school I think you are referring to was on Carlisle Street East, bordering  Garter Street and Forncett Street. My father went to the school around 1920 as it was the only 'secondary' school in the Burngreave area then . My dad lived on Lucas Street, only yards away from what became Burngreave Council School but that wasn't built until 1931. The Carlisle Street East school later became property of Firth- Brown's, the Forncett Street side being a canteen and the street level on Carlisle Street East (and the basement ) was an First-Aid station for that company. The building or indeed the outer walls are still there as of 2017.

Yes, there is almost nothing on the  net about Carlisle street east school. I once found a picture of it but can't seem to find it now except for an artists drawing available on ebay.