THE CLASSIC CINEMA, Fitzalan Square Sheffield

Sheffield History

98213917_3586598608033349_5331802281341878272_o.jpg

1972 picture of the Classic Cinema with the Bell Hotel pub and the Sleep Shop in Fitzalan Square. The films '10 Rillington Place' and 'Age of Consent' were showing that week.

CLASSIC CINEMA.jpg

It seems as though everyone in Sheffield can remember the Classic Cinema fire!

On 26/01/2019 at 23:05, boginspro said:

Here is a favourite picture I have of the bank and Electra Palace, such interesting buildings, it's a shame we have lost both.

bank _and_electra_palace.jpg

The Electra doesn’t look right, it seems to have been superimposed on the original photo.

I’m surprised no-one has mentioned the Queen’s Restaurant that eventually became the Indus, the Queens was a Greek restaurant and my wife worked there for a short time and we also rented a room in one of their houses on Stafford Road before getting our own place on Gleadless Valley, the Gabriellidis, the owners, lived next door to us and Mrs Zina Gabrielidis was very kind to us, their son George either owned or ran the Montgomery Hotel in Nether Edge.

Whenever I tell people about the Queens, they don’t seem to remember it, the restaurant was sold and the family relocated back to Cyprus.

Eleftherios Gabrielidis previously ran the Royal Cafe in the Norfolk Market Hall.  After being declared bankrupt in 1965 he was finally discharged in 1977.

The Queen's had been a French restaurant - in 1962 the manager was advertising for a "Head Chef with full knowledge of French cuisine" at £25 weekly with monthly bonuses.

1 hour ago, Sheffield History said:

Ffsaub-XoAAdvOj.jpg

Them were the days. 😁 Remember  going down those steps underground in Fitzalan Square when the 75 bus set off outside C&A my foot slipped off the platform rear loading bus with me hanging onto the pole and the bus dragged me nearly down to the junction making a mess of my knee. The policeman on point duty picked me up and a bus conductor took me down to their rest room to clean me up.