Wadsley Lane Church/cemetery

Guest Brent Humberstone

Guest Brent Humberstone

hi ,

I'm trying to help my brother in law Barry Jenkinson (long time resident of north wales formerly from stannington) start his family tree .

He tells me his father , who passed away aged 39yrs , circa 1953 when Barry was 13yrs was buried in the grounds of a church at the bottom end of Wadsley Lane .

We had a look on Google for this church but with no joy.

Can anybody shed some light on this please , might Barry be mistaken re the location?

He is convinced that his dad was buried in the church grounds and not a separate cemetery.

Many thanks in advance .

Hi,I used to live at the Park Hotel on Wadsley Lane in the late 40s early50s Im sorry but there is no church on Wadsley Lane , the nearest would be on Carlton Rd. I believe its the United reform church now . I think it used to be hillsbro taberacle in the old days.Sorry not to be of help.good luck with the tree.

Guest Brent Humberstone

hi mr punch , your reply is much appreciated .

as I say I can only assume barry in his tender years and emotional state has got somewhat confused although he is adamant that where ever his father is buried the cemetery forms part of the church grounds.

I understand barrys mum abandoned the family at an early age , prior to his fathers death , hence the lack of info on my behalf.

once again . many thanks.

Given as you say his age and emotional state at the time it's understandable he may be confused. Trying to tease out the possibilities, Wadsley Church has it's own graveyard around the church but isn't near the bottom of Wadsley Lane. Another that is near the bottom of a lane is Loxley chapel, which has a graveyard and is at the bottom of a lane, Long Lane at Loxley. Just thinking aloud...

Guest Brent Humberstone

many thanks bayleaf , i'll see him later today and put your thoughts to him and report back my findings. thanks again.