Land Owner

Sheffield Col

Hi,

Does any one know who owns the land on the right hand side at the top of Jenkin Road as you come up from Meadowhall.? It's the land where the Iron age / Roman settlement is. I was told some time ago it belongs to the National Trust, but i don't know how true this is.

Thanks, Bayleaf. I note even English Heritage are able to drop the proverbial *****. The gun-site is of WW1 vintage and, indeed, the first scheduling was done in 1927...Yet they have it listed as a WW2 site... which broke out some 12 years after scheduling! I see from their website that the Friends of Wincobank Hill are working with Sheffield Council. Could it be that the Council owns the site?

As an aside,on the night of 26/27th September 1916... Sheffield was raided by the Zeppelin force... not a shot was fired at them from any of Sheffield's three anti-aircraft batteries...including Wincobank....Folk legend, and a contemporary record, has it that the Officers were attending a Ball at the Grand Hotel and there was no one available to give the order to use the search-lights or open fire at the raiders. My own grandfather related the tale of how he was drinking with some of the troops on the night of the raid... in the nearby Sheffield Arms.

Thanks, Bayleaf. I note even English Heritage are able to drop the proverbial *****. The gun-site is of WW1 vintage and, indeed, the first scheduling was done in 1927...Yet they have it listed as a WW2 site... which broke out some 12 years after scheduling! I see from their website that the Friends of Wincobank Hill are working with Sheffield Council. Could it be that the Council owns the site?

As an aside,on the night of 26/27th September 1916... Sheffield was raided by the Zeppelin force... not a shot was fired at them from any of Sheffield's three anti-aircraft batteries...including Wincobank....Folk legend, and a contemporary record, has it that the Officers were attending a Ball at the Grand Hotel and there was no one available to give the order to use the search-lights or open fire at the raiders. My own grandfather related the tale of how he was drinking with some of the troops on the night of the raid... in the nearby Sheffield Arms.

It does say there was an amendment in 1993, could this have been the addition of the gun site, just the hillfort being scheduled in 1927? I don't think in 1927 there would have been sufficient interest in a gun site to warrant its inclusion. But in the 1990's there was a project to identify all such sites in the UK and record them.

From my involvement with the Manor Lodge site I can tell you that anything added to an Ancient Monument site becomes listed. For example the caretakers house, which has since been removed, was a listed building even though it was built in the 1960's.

On land ownerships in Sheffield. In my experience it seems to belong to either Sheffield Council or the Duke of Norfolk.

I have just been informed that, apart from a small stretch of land on Sandstone Road ,the entire site is owned by the Council, having been gifted to the City in 1908 by the Duke of Norfolk. It is managed by the Parks and Countryside section of the Council.

The Duke did a lot of that. However he sometimes put conditions on them. For example when he granted the Granville Road site used by the Sheffield College, it was on the proviso that it could only be used for education purposes.

It might be interesting to see if there was any proviso's with that site.