Rowlinson Technical School

Guest ianb

Didn't anyone ever go to that school? I was there in the late Fifties early Sixties and it was a really good school. Can't imagine why I have never seen it mentioned under the schools topic..

I have mentioned this school several times in other topics on other local schools and I seem to remember posting a short video clip of the school on the site somewhere.

Again I can't find it now so will provide a link when I can, - it could be in any school topic, Norfolk, Hurlfield, Ashleigh, Newfield, Frechville, Thornbridge, Gleadless Valley etc....

Yes Richard I was there in the early 60's too - I remember many of the teachers etc (some with little affection) quite well. 'Percy' Snowdon was our form master - Fred Rowley the Music teacher once cracked me around the ear for quite an impertinent 'Morning Fred' - quite right too. Mr Kay was the head, 'Todge' Askham the Dep and a guy called Rutherford the dep-dep. I well remember Alf Glover the Sports Teacher with his cry of 'when in doubt, boot it out' - about the only practical advice he ever offered and Ronnie Ransom his colleague...and quite a few more too.

Some happy days and some not so.

Hi Emo, I left in '63. The bane of my life was "Spike" Godfrey, a real son of doubtful parentage. I remember Mr Brennan as the Geography Master, a good teacher. Fred Rowley, I liked because he introduced me to classical Music when he took our Form to the City Hall for a Halle Orchestra Concert. Brilliant. The best teacher by far was "Yak", at last he made Maths understandable and in my case, that was a miracle! Which House were you in? I was in Osborn. Hope to hear from you.

I never went to Rowlinson but I do remember , way back in 1954, going to a " Halle Orchestra" afternoon at the City Hall where, with other schools, we were introduced to the instruments of the orchestra. What an experience for a Shiregreen lad whose musical horizons were limited to the Light programme.

Teachers can make or break a child and, I suspect like most of us, I had a mixed bunch of teachers at my Grammar school....and my music master was not my favourite!

Hi Ian, Yes I went to Rowlinson too in the late 50's. I moved there from Greystones school. I can't remember how long I was there becase we moved house and I then went to Dinnington Tech.

You mentioned Mr Brennan and that rang a bell with me and I started rummaging through "the archives".

Sure enough J.P. Brennan was the teacher who encouraged me at diving (off a diving board not underwater) and I won the under 15 district swallow diving championship award, under his guidance. These championships were held at the King Edward V11 swimming pool Sheffield. He was the Hon. Sec. of the City of Sheffield schools swimming association. I have attached a copy of my certificate, albeit a bit tatty, and you can see that he is one of the signatories. My prize was free entry for a year to any of the Sheffield municipal swimming pools and I made good use of it.

If I remember correctly my class was 2/14.

...................................Memories!!

Hi Peter,

It would be nice to know your surname to see if I can "put a face" to the name.

I must admit that the years at Rowlinson weren't particularly happy as I used to live in Firth Park and in winter when the tram track points froze or the buses were late I was in the trouble seats, Also at that time, the fields were found to have glass all over, so they were resurfacing them with top soil all the time I was there. It was still a good school and I think I had a good education as I haven't done too badly in my life..

Hi Ian

It's on the diving certificate! - Peter Bownes

I took the tram too it started at the Town Hall all the way to the terminus.

Those were the days!

Hi Peter,

You were at Rowlinson a bit earlier than me. I was there from '58 until '63. A crying shame that the school closed. Can anyone give a reason for it? Mind you, I suppose ifthey can close a school with a heritage lik Firth Park Grammar, who cares about a lowly Technical school?

Hi Peter,

You were at Rowlinson a bit earlier than me. I was there from '58 until '63. A crying shame that the school closed. Can anyone give a reason for it? Mind you, I suppose ifthey can close a school with a heritage lik Firth Park Grammar, who cares about a lowly Technical school?

Many of Sheffield's schools, all of which have an historical heritage, have been closed. Both of the schools I attended, Norfolk and Ashleigh, are long gone, and so are many others. It's a shame and it's one of the reasons I am keen to have different school groups of ex students from each school on this forum.

Hi Dave,

I'm all for it but it seems strange that there is a dearth of Rowlinson Old Boys. I can't raise anyone on Facebook either so they must have disappeared into the undergrowth.

Maybe Peter and I are the only survivors of some demonic Labour plan to not only get rid of the schools but also the pupils?

Hi Dave,

I'm all for it but it seems strange that there is a dearth of Rowlinson Old Boys. I can't raise anyone on Facebook either so they must have disappeared into the undergrowth.

Maybe Peter and I are the only survivors of some demonic Labour plan to not only get rid of the schools but also the pupils?

I sometimes get that feeling as well, even though my old school, Norfolk is very well represented, both on here and on Facebook.

I have contributed extensively to the 2 schools I attended, - Norfolk and Ashleigh

To a lesser extent to the schools I did teacher training at, - Hurlfield, High Storrs and Newfield

To an even lesser extent still to school I had friends / relatives at, this includes Rowlinson, Frecheville, Birley, Thornbridge, Waltheof, Gleadless Valley and Myers Grove to name most of them.

But obviously, I can't do it all, - we need ex students from all the schools to come forward to detail its history. Not all schools have students volunteering information and as many of these schools are now long gone the ex students we need could now be getting on a bit in years.

Hi Ian

I wondered why you said I was there a bit earlier than you and I wonder if you thought the date on the certificate was 1954 as it could be taken for that. In fact it was 1959. I can't remember the dates I was there but it was definitely 1958 and 1959. So we were there at the same time! But I can't remember you, but then it was over a quarter of a century ago and I expect you don't remember me either.

Guest kentblade

Hi Dave,

Hi there,

i went to Rowlinson Secondary Technical school from 1952 - 1957 and like you I have never found anyone connected with the school during this period.

i well remember Mr Kay ,head,Mr Askam deputy head and other teachers coming to mind are Mrs Knott, Mr Bolton, Mr Barnsley,Mr Curly.Mr Dean just to name a few.

i have to say that while it was a good school they were not my happiest days,I came out in 1957 with no qualifications,but started work more or less straight away.I suppose they gave me a good grounding as I became a bank manager, working for a bank for 40 years.

i know we are all growing old,me 72,but surely there must still be some Rowlinson folk from 52-57 around.

Best wishes

Patrick Judson

Guest OR1953

I was there between 1953 and 1955. I started at Carfield Secondary in 1950 then the whole school transferred to Rowlinson after the summer break in 1953. Princess Margaret came to open the school and I remember standing at the side of the drive along with other pupils as she swept by in her limousine. I thought the school was an absolutely marvellous place after being taught in an old Victorian building that was Carfield. A friend, Ernest Brown, and I were appointed lab monitors by Mr Dean, physics teacher, and we spent most of our lunch breaks setting up experiments for lessons, constructing lab. equipment and teaching aids, also lighting equipment for the assembly hall stage.

A swimming pool was originally included in the plans of the school but it was cut out to save money.

Members of staff I remember are: Mr Kay, Head, of course, Mr Dean (Physics), Mr Middleton (Chemistry) Mr Wild (Maths) Mr Rutherford (Fluff) Maths, Mr Askam (Geography) Mr Jennet (History) Mrs Knott English Lang.) Miss Varah (Eng Lit.) Miss Stewart (Music) Mr Kurley (PE) Those teachers who had degrees wore their academic gowns and I seem to recall that any teacher who didn’t have a degree was required to study and gain one within a certain time. Mr Kay used to wear is gown and mortar board when taking asembly every morning. I wonder how long that policy lasted? I remember Mr Dean gaining his B.Sc. He was very clever, seemed to know his stuff and was a good teacher. He was also an organist. Whilst we were at Carfield the school speech days were held in the Victoria Hall and he played the organ to accompany singing.

The girls were only there temporarily for about 3 years until King Egckbert’s (I hope I’ve spelt that right) was completed. The girls transferred there and Rowlinson became an all boys school. Three girls I particularly liked but was too shy at the time ask for dates were Hilary Warrington, Susan Ball, Denise Ganley (or Gangley) Has anyone any news of them.?

The school became a college (Norton College) in the 1970s I wonder if the buildings are still there?

I was very happy at Rowlinson and was very sad when I had to leave.

There is a website for Rowlinson but nobody seems to be looking after it now:

www.rowlinson-sheffield.org.uk/rts/index.htm

Patrick Judson- you couldn't have been there in 1952 as the school wasn't open then

Michael Dewhurst

Guest Granny

Hi

I was there from 1958 till 1964 usually went by the name of Granny remember the teachers, anybody out there remember me.

Guest ianb

Hi Granny, I'm sorry I never heard of that nickname, mine was Barney for obvious reasons. I have just had a look at the Rowlinson year book for 1962 and I must admit that the only names that I could remember from there were Gomersall and "Spodge" Butler.

I have been in contact with Roger Bingham who did a stint in the Army and is now living in France. He joined up with Johnnie Waller, where he is now, I have no idea.

Let us keep this topic going and see how many ex-pupils we can "resurrect".

I was at Rowlinson between 59 and 64. Fred Rowley was my form teacher for two years (1O and 2O), then I was in 3/6 with Mr Stanton, after that I went to 4/13 with John Brennan and I was with him in 5/13 too.

Percy Snowden was my French teacher (for the last 3 years) and the librarian. I worked in the library for three years.

Spike Godfrey was my French teacher for the first two years.

In 1979, when I was The Polytechnic Personnel Officer, I made Pop Otley, John Brennan, Percy Snowden, and Spike Godfrey redundant from the Sheffield City Polytechnic. John Brennan was very magnanimous in his praise for my dealings with the four of them. He clearly recalled me very well, as did Percy Snowden, who died of a heart attack soon after. John and Percy had been two of my biggest mentors and my life today, 50 years later, has been shaped by the attention that they showed me at School. Spike had also a big impact on my future life.

I love all types of music but I cannot trace that back to Fred Rowley. Sorry Fred. You told me that I was tone deaf.

Hi All,

Only recently found this site. I was a Rowlinson pupil from 1956 to '61 and like others here never see or hear from my school pals of that time. Strangely, as we must have used first names and nicknames at that time all I can remember now are a very few surnames.

Can't say I particularly enjoyed my time there but in later years came to realise what a good education I actually had. The school building and road system around seems to have changed markedly but I've never been back to check out the interior. There is now though the long missing swimming pool.

Remember the old "Wise, Bright and Corny" school badge?

Cheers

LS

Have you a copy of the original school badge? Several people have been asking about it on the School's site on FB. All I can find is the later badge (1961 onwards) - do you know if the original badge was modelled on the Central Technical School badge? http://www.rowlinson-sheffield.org.uk/rts/index.htm

Hi,

I kept my old school cap for years but in the way of these things it has 'disappeared'.

The school magazine of the time was called The Wise Owl and showed the badge on the front. Shield shaped, top left an owl, top right a five point star with three sheaves of corn below.

I still have copies of The Wise Owl from 1957 and 1958 which are not in colour and I can't now remember the badge colour. I'm afraid I've no idea of the origins of the design.

LS