George Turton, Platts & Co

madannie77

I don't normally photograph buffers, but as I was photographing various parts of a locomotive for identification purposes it seemed churlish not to, especially as one of them seemed a little odd!

Should anyone be interested the loco was built in 1945 at the Vulcan Foundry in Newton-le-Willows

In the rather limited time I have at the moment I have not found a great deal about the manufacturer other than the entry in Grace's Guide:

George Turton, Platts & Co

Hopefully I will now be bombarded with information.

George Turton Platts is now, I believe,a part of Woodhouse and Rixson. They were a medium sized forgemaster and produced a whole range of products including aircraft parts and forgings for jet-turbines as well as railway forgings. They also engaged in the manufacture of mainly railway springs, as well as producing, literally millions, of rail clips( the device which holds a bull-head rail in place on a rail chair)

On 12/09/2013 at 16:00, mickjj said:

I worked there for a while in the early seventies

I worked there 74/75 in the test house mainly - brilliant people.

Was George any relation to Thomas Turton, who had a steel works on Maltravers Street in the 1960's and 1970's as shown in the recent directories thread?

As an old rolling mill buff it might interest those with a bent for recycling to know that Tinsley Rolling Mills produced thousands of tons of 3”x 3/16” rail key strip for both Turton Platts and their competitors in this market …Toledo Woodhead. All of this was rolled out of old scrap bullhead rail which was slit into 3 parts with the centre portion being rolled into small flats…especially for “rat traps”and the rest being rolled in a 12”double duo mill into key steel.

As bullhead rail began being replaced by flat bottom rail the clip was redesigned into the “Pandrol” fixing using round silico-manganese spring steel bars….as used in most modern car coil springs.